Orange Julius

Monday, September 7, 2009


When I think of orange juliuses I think back to the days when my husband and I were first married. We were still in college and as poor as can be, but madly in love with each other and always searching for any way possible to spend time together without spending much money. A typical date night for us would be a bag of microwave popcorn, a ferocious game of Scrabble (we're both pretty competitive), and orange juliuses as a special treat.

Somehow over the years (almost 16 now) we have found new traditions and ideas for date nights (plus a few kids) that have put our Scrabble game on the top shelf. It had been several years since I'd had an orange julius when I stumbled across this recipe and got excited to try it again. The kids thought I was the coolest mom ever for letting them have this with their dinner and I couldn't help but smile at all the fun memories drinking it brought back for me. Scrabble anyone?
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:
1 can (6-oz.) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed (3/4 cup)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder (**see note below about using regular milk instead)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup cold water
10-12 ice cubes (I like it icier so I used 20)
Orange slices and mint (optional garnishments)

In a blender, combine the first five ingredients and process at high speed. Add ice cubes, a few at at a time, blending until slushy. Garnish with orange slices and mint if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.

**if desired you could eliminate the powdered milk and water, and just add 3/4 cup milk or vanilla yogurt instead**

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Kristen September 7, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

I love Julius's I'll have to try this one out :o) Very clever

SnoWhite September 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Awesome! I have fond memories of enjoying these as a special treat while shopping in the mall with my mom and sister :)

Rachel September 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

I had to laugh when I read SnoWhite's comment! When I saw your post, it immediately made me think back to when I would go to the mall with my girlfriends "back in the day"! It looks so refreshing!

Charlene September 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

ahhh....yes....the good old BYU poor days!! We loved those and my hubby loved those Jamba juices too!

Melody September 7, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

We just got an Orange Julius here a few months ago. When my kids asked what it was I felt like I had failed them! I better make this!

Kim September 7, 2009 at 11:21 PM  

I laughed when I read Rachel's comment of getting them at the mall - LOL! I never thought of making these at home, but they look delicious: ) A real treat from back in the day.

Katy ~ September 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

Boy, it has been forever since I've had an Orange Julius. Time to revisit the past as these are good.

My husband and I used to be avid scrabble players. It's still a good game.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP