Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream and Pumpernickel Croutons

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

 From the very first time I tried this recipe from my friend Heather, I was in love.  I loved the autumn inspired flavors with the squash and the apple and I loved the extra crunch and bite that the pumpernickel croutons added.   Too bad a couple of my kids aren't such big fans of it, because I like it enough that I keep making it anyway.  I highly recommend finding the pre-cut butternut squash (pictured below), because peeling and cutting a whole squash was a pain in the patootie!  

 I also recommend pureeing only part of the soup and mashing the rest with a potato masher.  I really liked the extra texture it gave having it only partially pureed.  STAY TUNED later this week for a great recipe using the leftovers of this soup as a pasta sauce.  Double yum! 
Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP:
5 Tbs. butter
2-1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1-1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup whipping cream
chopped fresh chives

CIDER CREAM:
1/2 cup apple cider
2/3 cup sour cream

PUMPERNICKEL CROUTONS WITH MAPLE AND CHIVE:
1 pkg. (16-oz) pumpernickel bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1-1/2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. maple syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 Tbs. chives

FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP:  Melt butter in heavy, large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add squash, leeks, carrot, and celery; saute until slightly softened, about 15 minutes.

  Mix in chopped apples, thyme, and sage.  Add broth and 1 cup cider and bring to boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover and simmer until apples are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.


Cool slightly.  Working in batches, puree soup in blender.  

(NOTE:  I pureed 2/3 of the soup and mashed the remaining 1/3 with the potato masher.  It gave the soup a little more texture.) 

Return soup to pan. 

Bring soup to simmer.  Mix in whipping cream.  Ladle soup into bowls.

Drizzle with cider cream. 
Top with chives and pumpernickel croutons. 

Makes 6 servings.  Enjoy!

FOR CIDER CREAM:  In a small, heavy saucepan, boil 1/2 cup cider until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes.
Cool.  Place sour cream in small bowl.  Whisk in reduced cider. 
Cover and refrigerate until ready for use. 


FOR PUMPERNICKEL CROUTONS:  Preheat oven to 375°.  Preheat baking sheets in oven.  Toss bread in large bowl with olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper.  Spread croutons in a single layer on baking sheet.  Sprinkle with chives.

Stir croutons lightly once every 2 minutes or so, until croutons are crispy on the outside, but still slightly chewy on the inside; about 5-8 minutes.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

Kim November 30, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

This recipe has the most unique and tasty spin on it. I love the sound of the cider cream and the idea of using pumpernickel for the croutons. I'd keep making it too if I were you!

teresa November 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

oh my gosh, i really want to try this. i can practically smell it from here just with your awesome pictures. i get my butternut squash from tj's too! it's the only way to go, i'm always afraid i'm going to lose a finger when i do it myself!

Debbie December 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

I have always wanted to make this soup. This recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks for posting...oh, the crouton look sooo good!!!

R,  December 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

I made this soup and my son and I loved it.

Keyifli Yemek Tarifleri November 5, 2016 at 4:42 PM  

This recipe is very delicous. Thank you very much for your recipe.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP