Celestial Bars

Thursday, June 11, 2009

For some reason I didn't have high expectations for these bars (another one my daughter made from Taste of Home Baking Book), but after one bite I realized that these were inappropriately named. These nutty flavored bars with the perfectly luscious creamy frosting on top shouldn't be called "Celestial Bars", rather they should be called "The Evil Just Try to Eat Only One Bars". They'd be great to bring to a party, but I'm not letting Cami make them for our family again. Evil bars.



The ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 cups flour (I used part whole-wheat)
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

ICING:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
3-4 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

GLAZE:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tsp. shortening

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extracts; beat well. Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in pecans (batter will be thick). Divide batter in half; stir chocolate into one portion. Alternately spoon plain and chocolate batters into a greased 13x9x2" baking pan. swirl with knife.

Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until done. Cool completely on a wire rack.

For icing, in a large mixing bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar. Add milk and vanill; beat until smooth. Spread over bars.

For glaze, melt chocolate chips and shortening in a heavy saucepan or microwave; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bars. Let stand until chocolate is completely set before eating. Makes 24 servings.

Enjoy!

15 comments:

Katy June 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Oh my, how decadent these must be!

SnoWhite June 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

They do look quite tasty. Do you think it would work to leave out the nuts (I'm allergic)? would you have to increase the flour, or would it be fine without?

teresa June 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

I've been dancing around this recipe for a long time now, wondering if I should make it. I don't have to wonder any more! They look wonderful!

Debbie June 11, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Oh those look delicious. I know I could never just eat one. Your blog is very nice!!! Just discovered it!

Coleens Recipes June 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

I had a chuckle with your new name for this bar. When you want to give a new recipe that kind of name, you KNOW its a good one.

MaRiN June 11, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

haha, celestial isn't good anymore? j/k i guess we are talking food not religion. they look delicious.

Anonymous,  June 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

dear, I will gladly take those EVIL bars away from your hands and teach them a good lesson by chomping HARD on them.

Melody June 11, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

But they do have whole wheat flour in them. That makes them nutritious. Right??!?! Eat up!

kiss my spatula June 12, 2009 at 2:37 AM  

just one look at them, and i KNOW i would not be able to eat just one. :)

Lara June 12, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

I do think that the almond extract and chopped pecans are an important part of the flavor of this bar, so, no, I don't think they would be all that good without nuts. You have my sympathy though for being allergic to nuts. We love them around here.

Netts Nook June 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

Wow those bars look perfect love all the chocolate.

Julie June 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

Mmm...evil bars! Works for me :)

Annette June 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

Wow, Celestial Glory and Outer Darkness are just a cup of sugar and some chocolate chips apart in your house?

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP