Holiday Baking #4: Chewy Chocolate-Gingerbread Cookies

Saturday, December 4, 2010

 I happened to find myself in charge of the food for my book group the other day and while it's obvious  I love to cook for my family, I still sometimes get intimidated cooking for my friends.  I get all wrapped up in making it so perfect, that I can't even decide what to make in the first place.  I poked around the internet looking for the perfect recipe, but still felt a little lost.  Suddenly it dawned on me to email my friend Heather for an idea.  Heather is one of those people who has a knack for finding the perfect recipe for any occasion and I knew she'd have some recommendation for me to try.  This sumptuous recipe here is the one she told me about.  Chewy Chocolate-Gingerbread Cookies from Martha Stewart.   Once again Heather came through for me and they were exactly the special recipe I was looking for.  These eggless cookies were soft and chewy, full of the gingery flavor you expect in a gingerbread recipe, and completely took everyone by surprise when they bit into them and found chunks of chocolate!   Sophisticated enough for us, um, immature adults and fun enough for the kids to devour as well.  Thanks to Heather and to Martha Stewart...

 Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

8-ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch chunks 
1-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1-1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 Tbs. freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
1 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. boiling water
1/4 cup sugar (for rolling)

Directions:  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks;

set aside.  In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa. 



In a medium bowl, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. 

Add brown sugar; beat until combined.  Add molasses; beat until combined.

In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1-1/2 teaspoons boiling water. 

Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture.  Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture.  Mix in chocolate;

turn onto a piece of plastic wrap.  Pat dough out to about 1-inch thick; seal with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm. 


Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Roll dough into 1-1/2-inch balls; roll in granulated sugar;  place 2-inches apart on baking sheets.    

Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, about 10-12 minutes.

Let cool 5 minutes.  Makes 2 dozen soft, chewy cookies oozing with chocolate!  Enjoy! 



*********
Don't forget to grab my button...


Recipe Shoebox


5 comments:

Kim December 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

The book club sounds like lots of fun and boy do I know what you mean about cooking/baking for others. It makes me really nervous, especially if they know about my blog, etc.

These cookies are really neat. Never heard of gingerbread cookies with chocolate chunks before. Your friend picked a winner with this one!

Karey December 4, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

I love gingerbread, and I love chocolate, so these are definitely going on the to-make list! :)

teresa December 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

i'm jealous that you belong to a book club. i've thought a lot about starting one out here, but i haven't quite gotten one off the ground yet.

these do look perfect, especially for this time of year!

Lisa December 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

Yum, I've made these cookies before too and loved them. That chocolate ginger combo is amazing. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

Anonymous,  December 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

I am making these for a Dicken's Christmas Carol play. The lady in charge said we have to make money selling concessions but they only want specific items like gingerbread cookies, banana bread and other items that she thinks are worthy of Dickens. I find that most gingerbread cookies are tasteless and not liked by all so I am trying these. I'll let you know!

PS I was in a hurry and didn't buy the fresh ginger so I just you know mixed the powdered stuff in twice. I hope that doesn't spoil this!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP