Holiday Baking #7: Chocolate-Peppermint Cake Roll

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When I was a teenager, I spent my days worrying about how to get the right kind of height on my massive bangs and then how to get my hand unstuck from the hairspray plastered hairbrush afterward.  Teasing and spraying, spraying and teasing.  It was quite the technological feat defying gravity like that you know!  

And check out these side wings.  Oh yes.  I was the envy of all my friends with those babies. (If any of my high school friends happen to be reading this, just play along please.  These nice blog readers don't need to know the truth about my geeky social status in high school.) 

Okay, okay.  You can stop laughing now.  I took great pride in that hair and still daydream about having a little of that teenage hair back again. Thick hair that is 100% free of grays and never once flops unwashed and unbrushed at the end of a long day. 

  Oh, great.  I'm feeling kind of old and frumpy now.  I think I'll go put on my Golden Oldie 80's music and see if I can get my groove back before going on.      

Alrighty.  A little Depeche Mode and I'm feeling better already!  ;)

Thankfully, styles have changed now and even more thankfully, my teen daughter has not inherited my teen obsession with hair.  Her hair is long and lovely and rarely sees a drop of hairspray.  Instead, her current obsession is cooking.  She loves baking even more than I do and one day hopes to open up her own bakery.  I'm homeschooling her this year (it's an 8th grade tradition in our family) and it's been so fun to see her branch out and develop this talent/interest of hers. 

This recipe for Chocolate-Peppermint Cake Roll is her baby.  I was making food for book group and she really wanted to make something chocolatey and minty for me.  She found this recipe at cooks . com, determined that it wasn't quite adequate for what she was looking for, and tweaked it to be what she envisioned.  You'll see in the pictures that she did not follow the directions exactly as listed, but it still turned out to be a beautiful and popular dessert at book group.  The cool mintiness of the whipped cream added just the perfect touch to the chocolate cake. 

Click here for printable recipe.



The ingredients:    (mint extract not pictured) 

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 squares (1-ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
2 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbs. cold water
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)

Filling:
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp. mint extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy (optional)

Directions:  Line 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan (cookie pan or jelly roll pan) with wax paper.  Set aside. 

Beat eggs and 3/4 cup sugar at high speed until very thick (5 minutes). Add vanilla extract.


In small microwaveable bowl, melt the unsweetened chocolate squares by microwaving on high for 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval.  After about 2 minutes the chocolate squares should be melted.  To melted chocolate, thoroughly mix 2 tablespoons sugar, baking soda and water.  Fold into egg mixture. Sift flour, baking powder and salt.

Fold into batter, turn into jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Lightly sift confectioners' sugar onto linen like towel. When cake is done, immediately invert onto towel and peel off paper.  (NOTE:  We did NOT peel off the paper, rather we just rolled it up with the parchment paper rather than the towel. 

Roll up cake very gently, rolling towel in it, cool on wire rack at least 1 hour.

Whip the cream. Add mint flavoring, crushed peppermint candy, and powdered sugar. (We waited until afterward to sprinkle on the candy).  Unroll cooled cake and spread filling.

Reroll, wrap lightly in foil and freeze until ready to serve. 

Slice into 1/2-inch slices and serve cold with additional sprinkled powdered sugar, if desired.

Makes 15-20 half-inch thick slices.  Enjoy!

*********
Don't forget to grab my button...




Recipe Shoebox


10 comments:

Jen December 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

I love your hair! That's how I wished my hair would have always looked. But I couldn't have a perm and my hair was too heavy to hold the wings (I just had crunchy wing blobs that would fall after a little while).
Depeche Mode always makes me feel a little better. Where were you when they came to Manassas and I didn't go because I didn't know anyone was a fan. Oh well.
Thirdly, I'm so happy you put this recipe on here. I've never tried log cakes and I love how you have them step by step. maybe this year will be the year.

Kim December 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

I love that picture with the wings - awesome! I miss those good hair days too. Wiry gray hair just isn't the same.

I can tell your daughter has a knack for baking. This isn't exactly a recipe for a beginning baker and she totally nailed it! Good job. I love the idea of the mint filling with the candy canes - really cute.

Debbie December 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

If it's any comfort I used to tape down my bangs with scotch tape when they were wet hoping when they dried they would stay down! I did this in grade school along with other girls. Crazy!!! Your cake roll looks great. I made the Libby's pumpkin roll for the first time this year and feel a bit more confident now so I think I will try your cake roll!!!!

teresa December 7, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

LOVE the hair, i remember those days, times were simpler with big hair, haha!

the minute i get my oven back i'm making this!

Diana's Cocina December 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

OMG! I remember the big hair days. Oh, I live in Texas and we still have big hair! LOL!! Kudos to your daughter, awesome looking roll.

K December 8, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

My waist line is happy to not live in your house. I don't know how you stay so thin Lara! This looks so yummy!

Holly December 8, 2010 at 1:30 AM  

LOVE the hair!!! lol I remember those days...ugh! Your daughter did an awesome job on this cake roll-I'm printing it:)

Mirien December 15, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

I could photoshop my face onto yours and it would look exactly like my senior picture. And that cake roll looks almost as great as your hair!

Roxanne Williams November 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM  

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The recipe says to sift flour, BAKING POWDER, and salt, but ingredients don't show baking powder!!! I'm in the middle of making the recipe and don't know what to do!!!!!!!! Do I leave it out, or am I missing something???? The original recipe on cooks.com say the same thing!!!!!
PLZ help!

Roxanne Williams November 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

Well, I read a few other roll recipes and two of them that were kind of similar said 1/2 tsp. so that is what I used and the cake didn't rise very much, and is cracking...so I guess I'll turn it into a chocolate peppermint trifle...LOL...you can't really go wrong with chocolate and peppermint together anyway!!!! No one has to know that wasn't the original intent....right????? LOL Thanks for the help! =)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP