Buttermilk Pecan Waffles

Wednesday, November 4, 2009


I have always felt that eating dinner together as a family is a powerful way to reconnect and stay in touch with our kids. After all, we all have to eat anyway and sitting down is the most convenient way to do it, so why not make it a family affair? But lately it's getting harder and harder. My kids are at four different schools this year, have sports and music practices, church activities, and homework. Suddenly our "easy" way to reconnect isn't so easy anymore. Anyone who is home will join in for family dinner, but it's becoming less and less common that all seven of us are home at one time in the evening.

So, what do we do?

The next best thing to dinner----Breakfast! Most school days breakfast is still a hurried affair with all the different schedules, but on the weekends we like to slow down and savor our breakfasts a little more. Toast and cereal make way for pancakes, waffles, muffins, and eggs. I love the extra time we get to gather all together as a family around the table and I love that after a good hearty breakfast we buy an extra hour or two before everyone's hungry for lunch.

These buttermilk pecan waffles were a little heartier and a lot more flavorful than most waffles and with the "Secret" Buttermilk Syrup recipe were yum, yum, yum and a great way to start the day with your loved ones!

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
2 cups flour (I used half white, half whole wheat)
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted ( I reduced it to 1/3 cup)
3 Tbs. chopped pecans

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until light. Add buttermilk; mix well. Add dry ingredients and beat until batter is smooth. Stir in butter.

Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto a lightly greased preheated waffle iron. Sprinkle with a few pecans (if desired). Bake according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Repeat until batter and pecans are gone. Serve hot with fresh fruit and "Secret" Buttermilk Syrup. Make about 7 waffles.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Jessie November 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Those waffles looks great!! Nothing better than sharing a meal with your family!!!

Kim November 4, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

Oh my gosh, I know exactly what you're saying. It is so hard to get everyone together at my house. The fact that my son is allergic to things complicates matters too. It's so hard to cook everything at once and often I find he's eating either before us or after the rest of us. Breakfast is a great way to have family time and I love the waffles!

Tina Butler November 4, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Those look so good. I love homemade waffles any way i can get them. This is a must try.

teresa November 4, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

these sounds absolutely wonderful, and the picture is gorgeous!

Katy ~ November 5, 2009 at 4:34 AM  

Doggone. I see that wonderful waffle and my waffle iron, after 20 years of faithful service, has to be replaced. Keeping this until better days, grins.

Lyndas recipe box November 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

I haven't made waffles in awhile, but that's about to change after seeing these...they sound so good with pecans and the "special" syrup!
With your kids in 4 different schools, it would be so hard to have a dinner routine!

Arlene Delloro November 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

I love waffles, but my iron broke and I never replaced it. I am going to check out your breakfast cake next. YUM.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP