Cooking with Kids: Ice Cream in a Bag

Monday, July 6, 2009

This episode in the Cooking with Kids series was the kids' favorite yet! Put a few simple ingredients in a bag, seal it up inside another bag filled with ice, then toss it around for a few minutes and VOILA! Fresh homemade ice cream. I'd made homemade ice cream before that seemed to just take forever, but these were all done in less than five minutes and it was some seriously creamy, good-tasting ice cream. It was fun and easy enough that even my older kids got in on the action! Don't forget to check out my other Cooking with Kids ideas and feel free to contact me if you have any other great ideas we could try.


The ingredients: ( I made half batches for the youngest three and it was still plenty for them)

Click Here for Printable Recipe

1 cup half and half
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
ice
rock salt
quart size ziploc bags
gallon size ziploc bags

Pour half and half, sugar, and vanilla into quart size ziploc bag. Seal.

Meanwhile place 4-6 cups ice and 1/2 cup rock salt into the gallon size bag.

Place sealed half and half mixture into the bag filled with ice and salt. Seal.

Toss, knead, wiggle, and whatever else you can think to keep the bags in motion for about 5 minutes (they used hot pad holders to keep their fingers from getting too frosty).

Half and half mixture will thicken into ice cream consistency after about five minutes.

Remove from bag, add desired toppings, and serve immediately.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Sandy's Kitchen July 7, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

What a great idea! I don't have an ice cream maker and sometimes crave ice cream. This will be perfect for when my neice and nephew come to visit me this summer! Thanks for the idea.

teresa July 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

This is so fun! My kids would love this!

Coleens Recipes July 8, 2009 at 4:29 AM  

Fantastic!! What cute kids.

annalisa July 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

this ice cream was so easy to make and enjoyable to eat! i recommend it!

Emily July 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

How fantastic!! I am definitely going to do this with my little ones. Thanks for sharing!

Erin July 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

I love this idea! I plan activities for the youth at our church, and I think they would think this was fun, even though they are teenagers! Such a fun idea.

Vanessa July 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

Thank you for this. This was the best ice cream ever!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP