Coconut Curry Chicken

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My husband loves curry and begs me to use it more often, but  I've never found a recipe I loved enough to make a regular part of our menu.  This dish here changes things though.  The flavor was great, but not overly spicy.  The chicken and potatoes were perfectly tender.  And even the kids (except for one we like to call Miss Picky) gobbled  it up and went for seconds.  As much as I liked it the first night, I thought it was even better as leftovers when the flavors had combined more. 

Click here for printable recipe.




The ingredients:

onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbs. oil
4 medium potatoes, cubed (I used 2 potatoes and 2 sweet potatoes)
1-lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 Tbs. chili powder
2 Tbs. curry powder
1 Tbs. paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
bay leaf
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped ( I just used a can of drained diced tomatoes) 
1 can (13.5-oz) coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
hot cooked rice

Directions:  Place diced potatoes in salted boiling water and boil for 10 minutes (you want them to be not quite done).  Remove from heat, drain,  and set aside.  Heat oil on medium-high heat in large frying pan and saute onion and garlic for one minute.  Then add the chicken and continue cooking for 3 minutes.  Add all the spices and the drained potatoes and stir together well.  Let cook until chicken and potatoes are tender (another 3-5 minutes).  Add tomatoes and coconut milk and heat until sauce is thickened and bubbly.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve over hot cooked rice.  Serves 8-10.  Makes for delicious leftovers too!  Enjoy!

10 comments:

Kelly - 2 Kids (and a mom) Cooking January 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

This looks tasty and fits right in with my recent obsession with learning how to cook indian food. I made Tandoori chicken last night (which turned out great & the kids loved it).

I think this one is on the 'to-try' list in the next couple weeks, thanks for sharing!

Arlene Delloro January 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

I've been using curry lately and have decided I like it. This looks like a delicious use for it.

Kim January 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

This sounds like a great curry dish. I've never had curry before and I would definitely like to make one soon. This looks great!

teresa January 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM  

mmmm, looks great, i bet it's wonderful with that coconut milk!

Karey January 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

I'm definitely going to give this one a try! Looks delicious!

(And I'm cracking up imagining reasons why you photoshopped out everything but the ingredients in that picture! Love you guys!)

Unknown January 27, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

I just tried your Thai Chicken Noodles, and they were fabulous! I'm so excited to try this one out! I've always just bought Indian spice packets and used the recipes on the back, but I've been looking for a good "from scratch" curry recipe. This looks like a winner!

Katy ~ January 28, 2010 at 5:35 AM  

You've really caught my eye with this one as one of my food goals this year is to expand my culinary base with more spice and "exotic" foods from our Eastern friends.

Unknown May 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

This is a great dish....BUT....the one thing that I didn't care for was the bland taste of the chicken itself. The coconut-curry sauce /gravy was delicious, but the chicken still had a bland taste to it (especially using the breast). The next time that I make this (and I will make it again) I will be sure to lightly season the chicken before adding it to the dish. Otherwise, the dish came out great and adding the sweet potatoes was an excellent idea...yummy! I am sure the leftovers will be even better!

Lara May 6, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

Thanks for your great tips TaTesha! I think I'll try seasoning the chicken a little next time too. :)

terrah June 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

I just made this tonight and it was terrific! I actually did it in the crockpot--faster prep time, no oil needed, and the chicken wasn't bland at all due to soaking in sauce all afternoon. I'd definitely do this again, and perhaps double the tomatoes and substitute cauliflower for half the potatoes... a sneaky way to get my kids (and husband) to eat more veggies!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP