Avocado Chicken Salad

Monday, April 27, 2009

It's gotten hot really quickly here in the DC area and I've found myself searching through my recipes for lighter, summer-y food that I don't have to turn the oven on for. I found this simple recipe in a magazine and the fun variety of flavors quickly won over the hearts (and tummies) of my family.

Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:
The ingredients:
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
2 Tbs. lemon juice, divided
2 cups cubed cooked chicken ( I grilled mine)
2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
1 medium tart apple, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
Lettuce leaves, optional
Pita bread, optional

Directions:

In a small bowl, toss avocado with 1 tablespoon lemon juice; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, grapes, apple, celery, mayonnaise, walnuts, ginger, and remaining lemon juice. Stir in avocado. Serve on lettuce-lined plates or in toasted pita pockets. Serves 5.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Karey April 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

That sounds delicious! I'm going to work this one into the plan this week :) I've been doing the same thing - trying not to use the oven, or the stove for that matter! Nachos in the microwave, anyone?

Coleens Recipes April 28, 2009 at 3:39 AM  

This sounds fabulous!! I have been craving avocado lately. I think I'm going to make this without the bread for lunch tomorrow!!

Katy ~ April 28, 2009 at 5:04 AM  

Lara, I think I've found gold here. I KNOW I'm loving this one!

Kristen April 28, 2009 at 6:05 AM  

What a great combination of ingredients!

jacjewelry April 28, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

I love anything with avocado - this looks GREAT! I miss DC. :(

Heidi April 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

This sounds great Chicken and avocado... YUMMY!

Deanne April 28, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

Sounds delish! A perfect summer dish.

Anonymous,  April 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

Hi there, I made this last night as I had left ober chicken anyways to use. I skipped the ginger though and added tons of cilantro. I also skipped the grapes and added a bit of red pepper I had a two apples. it was yummy, We ate it with ww tortilla's and just ripped peices off and shoveled it in. I have it for lunch today with no tortilla. Thanks krista

JenJ April 30, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

mmm very yummy looking. I am going to try this one very soon!

K July 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

I love this recipe and have made it several times!

Berita Online November 14, 2010 at 1:31 AM  

Look delicous and appetizing!i will make one for my husband:)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP