Chicken with Chile-Cheese Rice

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

 Yes!  We eat real food too!  After a whole month of posting almost all goodies, I'm rejuvenated and excited about sharing some of our healthier meals again!  This moist flavorful dish from my friend Mina was a hit with the whole family.  My husband, in particular, was completely gaga over it and as long as you make sure you get all the seeds out of the jalapenos, it actually has quite a nice spiciness level...even for  kids. 

 Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:

2 Tbs. olive oil
1-1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
1 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (4-oz.) diced green chiles
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup chopped cilantro leaves

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, but not cooked through (about 5 minutes).  Remove chicken from pan and set aside. 

Add onion, garlic, and jalapenos to pan, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
 
Add dry rice and cook with the onions/jalapenos for about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
 
Add broth and bring to a boil. 

Boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover pan, and cook 15 minutes.  Return chicken to pan and cook until rice is tender, liquid is absorbed, and chicken is cooked through, about 5 more minutes.
 
Remove pan from heat and stir in chiles, cheese, and cilantro. 

Makes 4-5 servings.
 
Serve immediately. Enjoy!

8 comments:

ann January 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM  

This looks really good. great picture. I'm always looking for more chicken meals and just say the word chiles and my sons are in.

Anonymous,  January 4, 2011 at 8:45 AM  

What a great and healthy weeknight dinner. Thanks for sharing... I'm bookmarking this right now and am anxious to try it. Have a super day...

Julie January 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

This would be a hit with me! Looks so warm and comforting :)

teresa January 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM  

our family LOVES chicken and rice, i'm always looking for a new way to make it. this looks awesome!

Kim January 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM  

I think this chicken and rice looks awesome! I've made a rice, cheese, and chile dish something like this but never with the chicken included. Definitely one to put to my ever-growing list!

karen January 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

Made this over the weekend when the missionaries were over for dinner. It was a huge success! Thanks for sharing.

purple squirrel January 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM  

Thanks for posting this! I made it tonight with a few modifications, and it went over quite well! :)

Kim August 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM  

Made this for dinner tonight. My husband also thought it was great! Thanks for another hit!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP