Chicken Mango Rice Salad

Thursday, July 30, 2009

I made this recipe a few years back after discovering it in an old family cookbook, but then somehow that page fell out of my book and got forgotten. Then last week I rediscovered it while visiting my parents and got excited to try it again. I had vaguely remembered enjoying it all those years ago, but to my family it seemed like a brand new dish. I was encouraged when the kids kept peering over my shoulder while I made it and commented about how much they loved mango and how good it smelled, but when my super picky teenage son took the first bite and started raving about how much he loved it I knew we had stumbled across a winner! Never mind that it's a healthy dish, I just loved that the rice and chicken were perfectly seasoned and oh so moist and tasty. We'll never let this one slip away again!

For a printable recipe click HERE!

The ingredients:
1-1/2 cups rice (before cooking)
3 cups water
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 avocado, peeled and diced (we usually use two avocados)
1 mango, peeled and diced (we usually use two mangoes)
3/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1-1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
3-1/2 Tbs. lime juice (~the juice of 2 limes)
1/3 cup olive oil

Cook rice as directed on package.  Set aside.

Add cooled, diced chicken breasts (I sauteed mine with olive oil over medium heat) to rice, then add in the mango, avocado, and chopped cilantro. Toss together, then in a separate bowl combine lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper then pour over chicken/rice/fruit mixture. Stir just until combined. Serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 8.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Katy ~ July 30, 2009 at 6:11 AM  

I am absolutely positively making this. Perfection (except swapping out cilantro with parsley). I cannot wait to try this!!!

Mirien July 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

Mmmm--I have all the ingredients so I'm going to try this tonight! It looks great and I bet all my kids would love it. One question--is is served warm, room temp, or cold?

Lara July 30, 2009 at 1:31 PM  

We ate it room temperature last night, then cold today for lunch. It was great either way. Hope you enjoy it!

Coleens Recipes July 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Oh this sounds SO good and refreshing!! Nice and light, I love it.

annalisa July 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

i loved this salad! it was delicious! i even liked it cold the next day :) the combination of all of the ingredients is amazing and the cilantro gave it a certain zing. lol

teresa July 31, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

when you can make a dish like this and the kids love it too, you know you have a total winner on your hands! delicious!

Lynn July 31, 2009 at 6:46 PM  

This looks incredibly good, Lara. And the fact that your super picky teenager liked it -- well, WOOT! Thanks for sharing this. I'm printing it out and hope to give it a try soon :)

Mirien August 6, 2009 at 2:21 AM  

Finally made this tonight (the mangos weren't ripe enough a few days ago) and we loved it. All of us. Do you know how rare that is? Yes, I'm sure you do. I used brown rice and I ate my serving over romaine lettuce and loved it that way. I'm eating the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Jill May 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM  

the recipe here doesn't match the print version (butter, onion and bouillon are listed on the print version but not here)...were those used in cooking the rice?

Lara May 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

I used to make this recipe by sauteeing the rice with butter and olive oil before cooking it with chicken bouillon cubes. Over time I've found that I prefer it with the plain rice, but only changed the blog recipe and not the printable page. Thanks for catching the discrepancy, Jill!

Erin Rose,  May 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM  

I am totally in love. Made this today and I love the flavor. It is so light but filling. I had two helpings just now. And I am super excited to have some more at work tonight. Thanks a ton!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP