Whole Grain Oatmeal Waffles

Thursday, August 27, 2009

My kids absolutely love having big breakfasts so much that my two older daughters will fight over who gets to make it. The busy-ness of the school year keeps it mostly to the weekends, but now in the summertime I've had to put my foot down and limit them to only a couple times a week. I felt like such a mean mom limiting their cooking time, but I found my waistline just wasn't handling the breakfast battles very well.
This whole-grain waffle recipe I found though is one you won't have to feel guilty about. It has almost no fat, is filled with healthy grains, and when topped with fresh fruit you've got yourself a healthy breakfast feast. And best of all--- my family LOVES them. They have absolutely no idea that they're healthy, they just know they taste good and fill them up! You need to try this simple recipe!




The ingredients:
Click here for printable recipe.

2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 Tbs. molasses
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
milk, as needed to thin batter

In a large bowl, mix eggs and buttermilk. Add oats and mix well. Stir in molasses and oil. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; stir into the egg mixture. If batter becomes too thick, thin with a little milk.

Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto a greased preheated waffle maker. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. Serve hot, topped with fresh fruit and maple syrup or whipped cream.

To make pancakes: Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles begin to form on top of pancake. Yield 5 waffles (7-inches) or about 15 standard sized pancakes.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Melody August 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

Those are the best recipes! Healthy but not healthy tasting. Great recipe!

SnoWhite August 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

that looks like my kind of breakfast :)

Anonymous,  August 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

My daughter loves breakfast . . . for dinner!

Whenever my husband goes out of town that's the first thing we make! :D

Brittany August 27, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

My mouth is watering. I love healthy but yummy hot breakfasts! I have been loving other of your recipes too. The avacado chicken salad sandwiches look SO good! That is next on my list to make!

teresa August 27, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

yum, these sounds so wholesome adn delicious!

Katy ~ August 28, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

Lara, you just know that I'll be making these!

K January 7, 2010 at 12:04 PM  

I'm going to need some buttermilk before I can make this recipe. Looks good though.

Holger,  July 7, 2012 at 6:02 AM  

Just made these. The recipe itself tastes good, but they always got stuck to the waffle iron (and I oiled the iron). I have made better ones before. Hmm, I'll keep looking for the perfect recipe.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP