Holiday Baking #8: Brownie Crackles

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

When I started this goody-a-day posting, I knew that it was going to be a challenge.  Even with having a daughter that loves to bake and a  stockpile of goody recipes/pictures from the last few months, I still was pretty sure than 31 goodies in one month would probably do me in....or rather make my waistline go out.   That's where my awesome friends came in.  I thought about asking other food bloggers to guest post, but thought that everyone would be busy with their own holiday posting.  So instead I asked some of my baking friends I know in real life.  I wasn't sure how people would react when I asked them, but it turned out that most of them were quite excited to have a chance to share one of their special recipes with the world.   Turned out to be a good thing for both of us...can't beat that!  


And with that, here's my first guest poster....Bonnie! 
Here's a little about Bonnie: A Northern VA gal -- middle aged mama of three grown children -- one granddaughter. Considers baking a creative outlet and loves recipes of the "semi-homemade" variety. Also enjoys writing her personal history one story at a time and blogging. New Years Resolution: posting a picture a day on her blog http://ernieandbonnie.blogspot.com.

Thank you, Bonnie!  Love your recipe and your pictures totally rocked!


Click here for printable recipe. 


BROWNIE CRACKLES
Posted by Bonnie M.

Ingredients:
1 pkg. fudge brownie mix (13x9-inch pan size)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
confectioner's sugar and/or sprinkles
Directions:
In a large bowl, stir together the dry brownie mix and the flour.
Add the egg, water and oil. Mix all until well blended.
Place confectioner's sugar and other sprinkles in small, shallow bowls.
Drop dough by tablespoons or small cookie dough scooper into sugar (or sprinkles) to coat.
Roll into balls and place 2-inches apart on greased or parchment lined baking sheets.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 min. or until set.
Remove from oven and gently push a peppermint kiss into the center of each. Let set for a couple of minutes then remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Makes about 3 dozen. (Experiment and use different flavors of kisses. I rolled some of the dough balls in confectioner's sugar, some in green & white sprinkles, and some in red & white peppermint sprinkles.)


Enjoy! 

9 comments:

K December 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM  

Those look so delicious! Yummy! I will definitely be trying those soon! Thanks for the recipe Bonnie!

Debbie December 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

I am adding these to my Christmas cookies this year. They look delicious and different!!!! Hey, I also live in northern Va.....

Kim December 8, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

I just bought those cute little candy cane kisses and know exactly how I'll use them now. Looks terrific! Thanks for the recipe, Bonnie.

teresa December 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

those are so adorable, i love that you rolled them in sprinkles, yummy!

Mary Ann,  December 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

These are sooo cute! I can't wait to make these with my grandkids next week.

Shellie December 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Way to go Bonnie/Mom! :)

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes December 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM  

Umkay my kids would LOVE to make these! They look great.

Thanks Bonnie!

Chelsey December 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM  

Second year in a row I have made these...I add a tiny bit more flour because they are so sticky and another secret is to make the cookies small so that cooked they are about two inches across...also I let mine cool for about three minutes before I put on the peppermint kiss or they melt into a puddle...then I don't touch them for about an hour so I can store them. So cute!

Chelsey December 15, 2011 at 7:31 AM  

One more comment...I made these last night with the Ghirardelli brownie mix with chocolate chips in the mix. So chocolatey but the mint kisses provide the perfect relief (and a glass of milk). Instead of adding more flour, I cut the water to 3/8 cup and the cookie balls were super easy to roll and baked perfectly in 10 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP