Simple French Bread

Friday, February 20, 2009

This delicious crusty bread is perfect for serving with soups! Easy enough to make on a busy day, this is fast becoming a family favorite!

This bread is just about as simple as it gets, ingredient-wise.

For 2 loaves:
1/2 c. warm water
2 pkg/tbsp. yeast
6 c. flour
2 c. hot water
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. salt

I always halve the recipe, since there are only two of us and the bread is really best fresh from the oven. Here are the measurements for one loaf in case you're like me.

For 1 loaf:
1/2 c. warm water
1 pkg/tbsp. yeast
3 c. flour
3/4 c. hot water
1 tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Mix together half the flour and all the rest of the ingredients, along with the yeast solution. I just stir it by hand, but you could use a mixer or however you do bread. Then add in the remaining flour. Depending on how humid or dry the day is, you may have to add extra flour. Add until it's doughy, but stop while it's still sticky, not elastic and smooth.

Let rise for 10 minutes, then punch down. Repeat 5 times. Here's how it looks after a few punches.


Shape into one or two oblong loaves, depending on what quantities you're using. Place on greased cookie sheet. Let rise another 10 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
This picture is blurry because I was too anxious to eat the bread to take a proper picture! Yum!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP