Banana Cookies

Thursday, April 8, 2010

When my 7-year-old son came up to me the other day and asked if he could make something, I just couldn't resist his genuine excitement he had for cooking something with Mommy.  I asked him what he wanted to make and since he had no idea,  he just grabbed my new favorite cookbook and picked the very first recipe in the dessert section--Banana Cookies.  The recipe did not call for chocolate chips and mentioned making a cream cheese frosting for the tops, but Adam wanted chocolate chips, so we used chocolate chips.  :) These were a soft, nicely textured cookie (even with the 100% whole wheat flour I used).  The kids were excited and eagerly devoured them, and, well, in past times I would have eaten several, but I'm trying to be good, so I limited myself to one.  We're definitely putting this recipe into the cookie arsenal.  Yum! 


Click here for printable recipe. (link fixed) 

The ingredients:
3/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup smashed bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups flour ( I used all whole wheat flour)

1 pkg. (12-oz) chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:  Cream shortening and sugar.  Blend in egg and then add in other ingredients.

Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy. 
How good were the cookies?  Worth a big cheesy grin!  

NOTE:  If you opt to go without the chocolate chips, try  frosting them with a cream cheese icing.

7 comments:

Kim April 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM  

What a cute story! He looks so happy with his cookies and I think it's great that he wants to cook with you.
Banana cookies sound delicious to me. I bet it was hard to eat just one:D

teresa April 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

aw! i love cooking with my kids. these look wonderful!

Lyndas recipe box April 8, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

What delicious looking cookies; I must try them! It's so fun cooking with kids- you have a real cutie!

Erin April 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

These look fabulous! I'll have to try them for sure. I love using whole wheat flour in recipes... and in a cookie recipe, that is extra enticing!

Chef Aimee April 10, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

What great cookies! Your son is so adorable - I love hearing about cooking with kids! :)

Liz April 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

I'm am trying this recipe right now! Cookies are in the oven! I'm a sucker for banana and chocolate.

Katy ~ April 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

What a sweetie your son is, and what a terrific Mom you are to encourage him to cook and to share. Definitely one for the family archives!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP