BLT's with Avocado and Spicy Mayo

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer is wrapping up quickly and the kids have been trying to live up their last couple weeks of summer break (only two more weeks until school starts!) That means lots of play dates, afternoons at the pool, and back-to-school shopping (or just lots of driving for me). I found this recipe for BLT's with a spicy twist in a church cookbook and knew it was just the ticket for a busy summer night! The spicy mayonnaise in this kicked the flavor up a notch without overwhelming the kids with its spiciness. I also loved the addition of avocados which added some heartiness and a little extra healthy oomph to it. (Wow--I was worried I made the word "oomph" up, but my spell checker says it really is a word.) If you need a quick, easy, classic, and flavorful dinner then this is just the sandwich for you! This is also a perfect sandwich to make for one or two people. I told my sister Heather about it and she loved how easy it was to just throw just one together just for herself!
Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:



1 large garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp. chili powder
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
8 slices of hearty bread
2 ripe avocados, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
8 lettuce leaves, torn into pieces
1 package (12-oz.) bacon

To make the spicy mayo, scrape the garlic into a small bowl and stir in the chili powder, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, and the mayonnaise. Then in a large skillet cook the bacon in 2 batches until crisp. Pour off the fat between each batch. Drain bacon on paper towels. While the bacon cooks, toast the bread (I had my kids do this). Slice the avocado and sprinkle with a few drops of lime juice. Spread 1 side of each piece of toast with the spicy mayo. Arrange the avocado slices on 4 pieces of the toast, pressing them firmly against the mayo. Arrange the bacon, tomatoes, and lettuce on the avocado slices. Top the sandwiches with the remaining toast. Cut the sandwiches in half on the diagonal and serve. Makes 4 servings.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Aitch August 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

This is one of my new favorite meals! Instead of using toast though, I've been using sundried tomato flatbread and it is delicious.

Thanks for the great recipe Lara!

Jessie August 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

I love BLT's!! the spicy Mayo sounds great!!I am going to have to try this one out!!

Katy ~ August 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM  

Lara, does this ever sound good! I like Aitch's suggestion of making this into a wrap as well. Oh my good this sounds maddeningly good!

Lyndas recipe box August 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

Lara, I love these additions to the BLT. This is my favorite summer sandwich and I think the extra spice and the avocado would make this already delicious sandwhich awsome!

SnoWhite August 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

looks delicious -- esp. with avocado :)

MaRiN August 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

The mayo sounds delicious! What a great add on to an original sandwich.

Spryte August 26, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

I LOVE BLTs!! And spicy mayo?! YUM!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP