Holiday Baking #20: Cinnamon Twists

Monday, December 20, 2010

As promised earlier today, here's the recipe for Cinnamon Twists--a quicker and easier version of cinnamon rolls, but every bit as well-loved!  I'll make up the dough on Christmas Eve, cover and refrigerate, and pull it out to dip and twist on Christmas morning.  My family loves these and since they're not too hard to make, they're also great for brunch or breakfast for a big group.  And if you're looking for something even easier for Christmas morning, but just as delicious, then try Mom's Streusel Topped Breakfast Cake.--another favorite at our house!

 Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

CINNAMON TWISTS
1-1/2 cups hot water  (~115° F)
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. butter, cut into pieces
1 egg
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. yeast
Melted butter
Cinnamon-sugar mixture (1/2 cup sugar + 1 Tbs. cinnamon)

BUTTER GLAZE:
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 Tbs. milk

Directions:
FOR CINNAMON TWISTS: In a large bowl, add hot water, egg, 1 cup flour, sugar, butter, then yeast. 

Mix for 2-3 minutes, then add remaining flour.  Knead for about 8-10 minutes.
Divide dough into 2 roughly equal portions. 

Pat dough (since it's a soft dough, I found I didn't need a rolling pin) to about 1/4-inch thickness in a rectangular shape. 
With a pizza cutter, cut dough down the middle then into strips (about 1-1/2-inches wide).

Roll in melted butter,
 
then in cinnamon-sugar mixture,
 
place in pan.   (They're quite stretchy, so I stretched them out and twisted them like this...) 
 
 
 
Allow to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.  Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until very lightly golden brown.

FOR BUTTER GLAZE:  While twists are baking, in a large bowl, beat all ingredients together until smooth and a good drizzling consistency.
 
Drizzle over hot cinnamon twists.  Remove from pan immediately after drizzling. 
Makes about 40 twists.  Enjoy! 
*********
Come back every day through December for a new holiday goody recipe! 
Don't forget to grab my button and link back to us...





Recipe Shoebox


11 comments:

SnoWhite December 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

wowwee!!

thanks, Lara -- I can see this one quickly becoming a family favorite.

Peggy Clyde December 20, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

My neighbor used to make these and give them to us. She passed away this year and I miss her. Now I can make them myself. Thanks.

Avril December 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

Oh.....these little treasures look wonderful! Along the same lines as a cinnamon roll but in a different shape....love it! I will so be making this recipe ASAP! :-)

Ann December 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

These look so warm and cinnamon-y. I'll have to try these.

The Daily Smash December 20, 2010 at 7:20 PM  

Yummy I have been looking for a recipe to make christmas morning for the family and this just might be the winner thanks so much for sharing

www.thedailysmash101@blogspot.com

Arlene Delloro December 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

They look really delicious. Bet you can't eat one!

Val December 21, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Be still my heart!!! These look amazing.

teresa December 21, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

mmm, this reminds me of a restaurant we used to go to that had awesome cinnamon twists, i bet these are just as delicious!

annalisa December 25, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

We made these this morning for Christmas and they were delicious! They were fast and easy and we enjoyed making them too! The perfect way to bring a little piece of America to Taiwan on Christmas morning.

The Daily Smash December 29, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

These are cooking right now and I cant wait to eat them up yummy...

Isla November 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM  

Would I be able to make these ahead? Would I crisp in the oven and drizzle icing the next day? And...can I freeze these? My family would not need 40, but I would love to have some in freezer for the future. Thanks in advance...

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP