Greek Yogurt Cupcakes (or Best Cupcakes Ever)

Monday, August 24, 2009

Best. Cupcake. Ever.

Do I need to say more? These unique cupcakes (from Conversations with a Cupcake) are simply the best cupcakes I've ever made. They're moist, unique, with a hint of lemon, and seriously out of this world with fresh strawberry frosting. Oh and don't skimp on the OIKOS yogurt. Just fork out the $2.49 and thank me later. Go. Bake. Eat. Enjoy.







The ingredients:
Click here for Printable Recipe.

3 egg whites
1 egg
1/2 cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
juice of 1 fresh lemon
1 container (5.3-oz.) Stonyfield Farms OIKOS Honey Greek Yogurt (or other honey Greek yogurt)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 pkg. (3.4-oz.) vanilla pudding mix
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 cups flour

In a medium bowl, whip egg whites until stiff. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine egg, butter, and sugar. Beat until well creamed. Mix milk and lemon juice together, then pour curdled milk and yogurt into bowl with sugar mixture. Beat until well-mixed. Add the remaining ingredients (except the egg whites) and mix well. Gently fold in egg whites and spoon into prepared cupcake papers. Bake at 325° for 22-25 minutes. Makes 24 cupcakes.

Now don't forget the fresh strawberry frosting!

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Coleens Recipes August 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM  

That is quite a recommendation. I tried to find Greek yogurt in our FM store and didn't see any. I finally found it in the ethnic (refrigerated) section. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kristen August 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

These look and sound wonderful - I don't think we get that yogurt here in Canada, I'm wondering if the Mediterranean yogurt I use for greek cooking would work?

Lara August 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

I didn't even think about that brand of yogurt not being available in some places. In our grocery store it's right next to the rest of the yogurts.

I assume that another brand of Greek or Mediterranean yogurt would work, but look for a honey flavored one in a similar size. You'll have to let me know what you can find and how it turns out, so I can make a note of it on the recipe.

Mirien August 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

If you can't find that brand--try a natural, honey sweetened one. They may not be quite as thick as greek yogurt, so strain it overnight in a cheesecloth-lined sieve (or just use a thin cotton dishtowel like I do) over a bowl to catch the liquid. It will be really thick the next morning.

I'm going to try this cupcake recipe--after I go strain my Mountain High yogurt!

Anonymous,  August 24, 2009 at 2:40 PM  

Those look delicious. I wonder if my store carries Greek yogurt. I'll have to look next time!

Heather Justesen August 24, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

Wow, this sounds totally tasty! Thanks for sharing.

annalisa August 24, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

i had some of these cupcakes and the frosting together and they are amazing! i really love both of these recipes!

Katy ~ August 25, 2009 at 4:34 AM  

Usually we are 50 years behind everyone else in everything, but we do have this Greek yogurt! I typically don't make good cupcakes, but now I will certainly give these a try. I can't want. Love the frosting idea!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP