Spicy Black Bean, Chicken, & Chorizo Burritos

Monday, June 1, 2009

All this cooking I do and I've never tried a Rachael Ray cookbook before. I found Classic Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals at the library and after getting over the disappointment at the serious lack of pictures I actually noticed that there were some good sounding recipes in there. This one came from there and totally lived up to our expectations. It was quick and easy and full of flavor! We served it to guests who couldn't stop raving over how much they liked it.


This is a monster sized one my husband made. Some people tried theirs with just the black bean filling and others with just the chicken filling.


The ingredients:

BLACK BEAN FILLING:
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans (15-oz. each) black beans, drained
2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt to taste
1 tsp. hot sauce

CHICKEN, RED PEPPERS, AND CHORIZO FILLING:
1 Tbs. olive oil
3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken tenders, diced
1/2 lb. chorizo, casing removed, diced (I found this Mexican style sausage with the other fresh sausages in the meat department)
1 tsp. chili powder
Salt, to taste
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
10 burrito size flour tortillas
Garnishments: guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa

For the black bean filling: Add 1 tablespoon oil to a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add jalapeno, garlic, and onions. Saute 2-3 minutes, then add black beans, cilantro, cumin, salt, and hot sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer.

For the chicken, red pepper, chorizo filling: In another nonstick skillet add the oil and when hot add the chicken. Season with chili powder and salt, and lightly brown the meat, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, red peppers, and chorizo, and saute 5-6 minutes, then reduce heat to low.


Warm tortillas by grilling for 15 seconds on each side or if you're lazy like me in the microwave for 45 seconds.

Fill each tortilla with black bean filling and chicken filling and any other toppings of your choice. Makes 10 servings.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Rachel June 1, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

I'm up a bit earlier than normal this morning, but my husband is on vacation this week and when he wakes up and sees this recipe, he is going to be so excited! He LOVES chorizo! Looks great!!!

SnoWhite June 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM  

That looks so good. I wish my hubby liked Mexican food a little more -- it's the one cuisine he's not overly fond of ... because this definitely looks tasty!

Netts Nook June 1, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

Wow what a winner chicken dinner I love all the spices.

MaRiN June 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

I'm right with ya' with lack of pictures in a cookbook...I wanna see the delicious dish! These burritos look wonderful. The combination of chorizo, chicken, and peppers sounds fab!

Kristen June 1, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

I've never made anything Rachel Ray either - this does look like it would be worth making!

Katy ~ June 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

Lara, does this ever look good! All kinds of terrific flavors doing a little dance. YUM

teresa June 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

I've never cooked with chorizo, but I've wanted to for some time now, looks wonderful!

Romney Family June 2, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

that looks so yummy!! We love anything mexican in our house!! Jessie from www.foodbringsfamiliestogether.blogspot.com

Anonymous,  June 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

I have that cookbook! my friend gave it to me for my b-day...ashamed to say, I have not tried any of the recipes yet! now, looking at this pic, I'm knocking myself on my head! why, why so late?

Sophie June 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

I'm so used to eating chorizo for breakfast but I'd love it for lunch in a burrito like this, what a colorful and tasty meal!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP