Cooking with Kids (Halloween): Scarecrow Cookies

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

As I sit here typing this recipe up I'm starting to sense a theme in my mothering style. Apparently I like to entertain my kids with cooking and creating food. I've even got them perusing my food magazines and circling recipes they want to try. Hehe! I guess that's not SUCH a bad thing, except that all they ever want me to make is goodies!

This cute recipe (from Taste of Home) was one the kids saw in the magazine and begged and begged for me to buy the ingredients for. Since it's never a good idea leaving an entire batch of any goody lying around our house (especially when we always seem to have a plethora), I agreed only on the premise that we would make them to share with friends.

That was good enough motivation for my kids. As soon as I had all the ingredients in the house they eagerly decorated these cute little scarecrows and had a great time. Surprisingly not a single crow bothered us while we made them either. ;)

**If you haven't seen my giveaway yet, be sure to go check it out before it ends this Friday 10/23. **

Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:

1 batch of sugar cookies, cut into 3-inch round shapes and baked (find my favorite sugar cookie recipe here)
1 box of Frosted Mini-Wheats (or All-Bran) (for the hair)
1 bag candy corn (for the nose and hat decorations)
Chocolate sprinkles (to make the stitched mouth)
Sugar wafer cookies (for the hat), cut into 2-inch and 3-inch pieces
Mini M&M's or mini chocolate chips (for the eyes)
Vanilla frosting

Generously frost each of the cookies.

Then place the 3-inch slice of sugar wafer as the bottom brim of the hat leaving enough room right above it for the top rim to stick to the frosting as well.

Next add the shredded mini wheats or All-Bran for the hair ( All-Bran is what the original recipe called for and actually looked really cool, but I wanted to use something that my kids would actually eat.)

Then add the mini m&m's or chocolate chips for the eyes.

Place the candy corn nose into place.

Arrange the chocolate sprinkles into a stitched mouth shape. (This step was way too hard for all of my kids except the twelve-year-old, so most of the cookies just had sprinkles in the general shape of mouths {as seen below}).

Decorate the hat with gel or candy corn pieces as desired.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

SnoWhite October 21, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

where do you come up with all these creative ideas!??! You're awesome.

teresa October 21, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

some of the best memories i have growing up were helping my mom in the kitchen, i think it's wonderful to cook with your kids! these are absolutely adorable!

Kim October 21, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

I agree with Teresa. Some of my best moments were in the kitchen with my mom. These look very cute and I bet your kids had a blast. It looks like a great creative recipe.

Lynn October 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM  

These turned out so cute! Bet they got gobbled up.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP