Holiday Baking #22: Reindeer Cookies

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

All right, I'm officially getting tired.  The last week or so has been a whirlwind of writing/copying/addressing/stamping our Christmas card/letter, making treats, taking care of teacher's gifts, Christmas shopping, celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary, and trying to keep some semblance of order in our house.  My kids are all getting out of school 2-hours early today (and coming home any minute) and I am wondering when I'm supposed to fit a nap into all this?   I thought that maybe if I hurry really fast and post today's recipe---these cute little reindeer cookies---maybe I can lay down for a minute at the bus stop!  

Haha....naps, shnaps.  Sleep is overrated anyway.   (Don't worry.  I don't really mean that; I'm just trying to make my tired brain feel better.)

Anyway, onto the recipe.  We made these cute little fellows out of peanut butter cookie dough (which looked super cute), but next time I think I'll go for the albino reindeer and use our favorite sugar cookie dough instead (for better flavor and to be more allergy friendly to share with friends).   I've included both recipes, so you can choose!  Have fun! 



Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:  (choose either the peanut butter or sugar cookie recipe or your own favorite recipe)

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES (as shown in pictures)
1 cup butter-flavored shortening
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

SUGAR COOKIES (a family favorite)
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. almond extract (or vanilla)
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
5-6 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

FOR ANY MAKING INTO REINDEER
Miniature pretzels
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Red hot candies (I used red M&M's)

Directions:
FOR PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES, in a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.  (continued below)

FOR SUGAR COOKIES, cream together shortening and sugar.  Add almond extract (or vanilla), eggs, and sour cream.  Mix well.  Add baking soda, salt, and just enough flour to create a stiff dough.  (continued below)

FOR BOTH RECIPES:  Shape into a large log; wrap in plastic wrap. 
Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.  Unwrap and cut into 1/4-inch slices. 
Place 2-3-inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.  Using thumb and forefinger, make a slight indentation one-third of the way down the sides of each slice.  (Don't stress...this is not an exact science.  I had lots of little helpers and they all still turned out cute.  Don't, however, place them as close together as shown below.  I'd recommend only 6-8 per cookie sheet.)  

Press in pretzels for antlers, red hots (for noses) and chocolate chips for eyes (I added the chocolate chips and m&m's after baking).  

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until light brown.  Remove to wire racks to cool.
 
Enjoy! 



*********
Come back every day through December for a new holiday goody recipe! 
Don't forget to grab my button and link back to us...



Recipe Shoebox


3 comments:

Heather December 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

These are so cute! thanks for the idea and the recipe!

Anonymous,  December 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

Cute cookies, and what a fun project for kids!

ann December 22, 2010 at 3:24 PM  

These are adorable. What a great idea! I need a nap too.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP