"Blitz" Bread

Tuesday, November 18, 2008


I got this recipe (and the pictures) from a friend's blog and decided to try it today. It was soooo easy and turned out so yummy! This is sure to become a favorite around our house. Matt will be lucky if there's any left when he gets home!



1 1/2 cups warm water
3 Tbsp olive oil (plus additional for drizzling and dipping)
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp instant yeast
3 tsp herb medley (plus additional for sprinkling on top) I used 2 tsp. basil and 1 tsp. thyme
coarse salt for sprinkling on top
optional: 1 cup feta cheese

Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan and drizzle 1-2 TB olive oil in the bottom. Combine all of the ingredients except for the sprinkling of herbs, coarse salt and feta. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds. Optional- to make cheese stuffed bread: Add 1 cup crumbled feta cheese and just blend into the dough until it is mixed in. Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes, until it is puffy. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375. After the dough has risen, gently poke the dough all over with your index finger. Drizzle it lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with the dried herbs and course salt.(I forgot to sprinkle, but it still turned out delicious) Bake the bread until it's golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Excellent dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

3 comments:

Lara November 18, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

I will be making this very soon...thank you for sharing Karey!

Mirien December 22, 2008 at 6:45 PM  

We just tried this and we love it! I'll be making it often. I used all whole wheat flour and it turned out great! Thanks!

Lara January 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

I've been informed by my kids that this is "the best bread ever".

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP