Quick Chicken Mole with Rice

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

This recipe I found in a Taste of Home magazine was super quick and easy to make and a bit different than our normal fare. The first time I made it, it was a bit too spicy for a couple of the younger ones, but after I cut the chipotle pepper in half and used a mild salsa instead of medium it was fine.  The kids were fascinated by the fact it had cocoa in it and they all eagerly devoured their servings of the milder version.  Of course, I conveniently forgot to mention that it was also healthy for them and my 12-year-old daughter begs me at least weekly to make it again soon! 


Click here for printable recipe.  


The ingredients:
1-1/2 cups chunky salsa
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. unsalted peanuts, divided (I only had salted peanuts)
chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (I only used 1/2 pepper)
1 Tbs. lime juice
1 Tbs. baking  cocoa
1-lb. chicken tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tsp. olive oil
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro

Directions:  In a food processor, combine salsa, 1/4 cup peanuts, chipotle pepper, lime juice, and cocoa; cover and process until blended.


In a skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until no longer pink.  Add broth and salsa mixture.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Serve over rice; sprinkle with cilantro and remaining nuts.  Enjoy!  

6 comments:

Kim March 24, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

I think today is chicken mole day! Both you and another blogging friend posted chicken mole this morning. Plus, I'm going to post chicken mole enchiladas later today.
I love looking at all the different recipes and I like yours because it seems quick, easy and family friendly. Glad to hear your kids liked it!

Anonymous,  March 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

You had me at super quick and easy. This recipe is a keeper.

Lyndas recipe box March 24, 2010 at 11:58 PM  

This sounds like a really tasty dish, and it's easy too; Thanks for a great busy day meal!

Katy ~ March 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

Lara, quick and easy holds BIG appeal for me, grins. Love those meals that come together in a flash and taste good!

Shellie March 29, 2010 at 2:49 AM  

The day you posted this I was in need of a chicken recipe for dinner. To say it was a success would be an understatement! Michael said it belongs in the top 5 dinners I've ever made him. :)

Anonymous,  February 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM  

Made this last night and it was really good!! I was a little unsure as other mole's I've tried have been too sweet to my taste. This was rich but in a good way. I served it with a corn and black bean salad. Yummy!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP