Turkey Wafflewiches

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Who knew sandwiches could be so fun? My family adored this medley with its fantastic taste and whimsical touch. It reminded me a bit of a homemade McGriddle!   
NOTE from Lara: These sandwiches have become my teen son's favorite meal and through his chemo treatments for leukemia, this is the one food item we know he will eat day in and day out!  (see picture below)

                            Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

1 pkg. (3-oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
1 Tbs. maple pancake syrup
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 slices bread  (I recommend whole wheat potato bread)
3/4 pound sliced deli turkey (for extra flavor we like to saute the turkey in a little butter)
2 Tbs. butter, softened

Directions: 
In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, cranberry sauce, syrup, and pepper until combined. Spread cranberry mixture thinly over all 8 slices of bread; on 4 of the slices top with turkey and then place another slice of bread (cranberry mixture on the inside) over the top sandwich style.Spread butter over both of sides of sandwiches.  Cook in a preheated waffle iron or indoor grill according to manufacturer's directions for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 4.


Enjoy!
My son eating up (literally and figuratively) his few days at home from the hospital. 

7 comments:

Torie April 9, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

This looks neat & tasty!

Coleens Recipes April 10, 2009 at 4:33 AM  

Thanks for this idea. The possibilities are endless!!

Mirien April 13, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

I need a bigger waffle iron! What a fun idea.

annalisa April 13, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

i tried this the other day and i really liked it! i will definitely make this again. my waffle iron was a little small and so it got a little messy but it was definitely still delicious:)

K March 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM  

I think I am going to need to try these tomorrow! Yummolicious!

Anonymous,  June 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

Any tricks to getting them out of the waffle iron without them falling apart? They taste so great but I can't get them off in one piece. I am really good at making a mess.

Lara June 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM  

Have you tried buttering the waffle iron first? And spreading the cream cheese/cranberry sauce on both slices of bread? Those are the only tricks I can think of. Good luck!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP