Egg, Mozzarella, Sundried Tomato, and Sausage Casserole

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I've been searching for the perfect egg casserole for years.  Something with a unique and hearty flavor, but without strange ingredients or that was too time consuming.  Lo and behold I go to a church Christmas party a couple of weeks ago and taste exactly what I'm looking for.  I track down the recipe, which isn't too surprisingly from one of my most reliable foodie friends (Heather C.), and I make it for our family for dinner one night.   Perfection in a casserole dish!  The family devoured it and raved about it and I'm thrilled to have a new recipe for Christmas morning! 

For other yummy Christmas morning brunch ideas see  Red Pepper Quiche with Butter-Herb CrustZucchini and Sausage Quiche, Orange Breakfast Bread (super quick and easy), Cinnamon Twists, Cinnamon Rolls, Caramel Rolls, Berry-Filled Coffee Cake, and Mom's Streusel Topped Breakfast Cake

 Click here for printable recipe. 



The ingredients:

1 lb. sage sausage (I was worried about finding it, but it was in both of my regular grocery stores--large and small)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
4 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley, divided
1 Tbs. maple syrup
5 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 cup half and half
1 cup whipping cream
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:  Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Sauté sausage in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until brown and cooked through, breaking up with back of fork into
small pieces, about 10 minutes. Add chopped onions and garlic and sauté 3 minutes.

Add sun-dried tomatoes and 2 tablespoons parsley; stir 1 minute. Off heat stir in syrup. Spread sausage mixture in prepared dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Whisk eggs, egg yolks, half and half, whipping cream, 1-1/2 cups cheese, and salt in large bowl
to blend well. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture in dish.

Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley over.

Bake until top of casserole is golden brown and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ann December 21, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

Ooh, that looks really good. I need something delicious and easy to make for Christmas. This might be "the one". Thanks for posting this!

Holly December 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

Oh my goodness!! This is the recipe I've been searching for for almost a year!!! Thanks for posting it:) I'll be making it for Christmas brunch!:)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP