Thai Beef Salad

Wednesday, October 28, 2009


I'm always on the look-out for healthy and easy meals I think my family will like. This is one I found in a recent Taste of Home magazine that caught my eye for its nice presentation and well-roundedness. My kids would love the noodles, my husband would love the beef, and I loved that it was healthy and easy. Of course things don't always necessarily go as planned with cooking!
While did all end up eating our portions (even the younger kids), it definitely didn't go on any of our favorite's lists either. We found that the dressing was a tad bit too sour for our liking, so if I ever made it again, I would probably end up finding a recipe for a savory peanut sauce to use instead of the vinaigrette dressing. We actually ended up eating the leftovers without any dressing at all and with all that hearty beef and crisp red peppers we didn't miss it at all.
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:
8 oz. uncooked spaghetti
DRESSING:
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup peanut or canola oil
2 Tbs. lemon or lime juice (I used lime)
1 Tbs. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. minced fresh gingerroot
1-1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (optional)
1-1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

SALAD:
1 pkg. (5-oz.) spring mix salad greens
1 small sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
4 green onions, chopped
1 lb. deli roast beef, cut into strips (I had the deli slice it 1/4-inch thick for this recipe)
2 Tbs. chopped salted peanuts, optional

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients.

Drain spaghetti and rinse in cold water; toss with 1/2 cup dressing. Place in a large serving dish.

In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, red peppers, and green onions. Drizzle with remaining dressing; toss to coat. Arrange lettuce mixture over spaghetti. Top with roast beef; sprinkle with peanuts, if desired.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Lyndas recipe box October 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM  

It looks really tasty...too bad that the dressing wasn't just right.But your photos are really good!

Lynn October 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

Your salad looks beautiful, anyway :) I'll bet with a peanut sauce it WOULD be wonderful. Good idea.

Katy ~ October 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM  

Yummm, this sounds very good. Sorry the dressing was too tart for your taste; it sounds good to me but I have sour tastebuds, grins. Great pix!

teresa October 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

it looks beautiful. sometimes dressings like that are a bit overwhelming to me too, it's good that you still liked it with or without the dressing!

Melody October 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

I think a peanut dressing would be yummy too. That is the great thing about cooking. You take take a basic recipe and make it your own! Looks delicious though!

Kim September 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM  

I made this for dinner tonight. I made it with a peanut dressing off of allrecipes.com it was really good!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP