Philly Cheese Steaks

Monday, August 31, 2009


I'm a chicken woman and proud to admit it. It's not that I'm scared of my own shadow or anything, it's just that I've grown chicken about cooking with any meat other than chicken. If you combine all my pork, seafood, and beef recipes together, you'll won't even equal a quarter of my chicken recipes. My husband, on the other hand, would love it if I cooked beef or pork for every meal. He considers it a Mars/Venus kind of thing--I go to restaurants and order a nice feminine chicken and vegetables dish, while he orders big burly cuts of beef, beef, and more beef.
Every once in a while I feel a little sorry for inflicting my feminine way of eating upon my entire family and get the hankering to try something different. I figured that this recipe for Philly Cheese Steaks would be a hit with them merely because it contained beef, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it too. The tender, well-seasoned beef mixed with perfectly crisp-tender vegetables and topped with ooey, gooey, melty Swiss cheese was just oh so perfect for a hot summer night. If only all beef recipes tasted as good as this I could easily see myself getting attached to this manly way of eating.




The ingredients:

Click here for printable recipe.

3 Tbs. vegetable oil
1-1/2 lbs. boneless sirloin steak
1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
paprika, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbs. butter
5-6 sandwich rolls (crusty rolls are good)
5-6 slices of Swiss, mozzarella, or muenster cheese

In hot oil (or on grill) brown the outside of the steak without cooking through. After browning cut steak into thin slices. Reheat oil (adding more if needed) in large skillet on medium heat; add thinly sliced steak. Season with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. A minute or two before the steak is done cooking add the peppers and onions to the skillet, sauteing just until steak is cooked through and vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from heat.

Split each roll and spread each half with butter, then toast lightly (either in oven or on grill). When bread is toasted top rolls with meat mixture and cheese; wrap tightly in foil. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Makes 5-6 servings.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Melody August 31, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

This is one of my favorite sandwiches. I'm the same way, I hate to cook big roasts or steaks because I'm afraid I'm going to ruin them and waste all that money!

SnoWhite August 31, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Delicious! We make ours in the crockpot, but this is a quick alternative.

teresa August 31, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

this looks so good! i think i'd probably like this better then the ones they sell here in philly!

Rachel August 31, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

My husband would be in his glory if I made these sandwiches for him! They look so good!!!!!

Katy ~ September 1, 2009 at 5:22 AM  

Love Philly cheesesteaks. Oh, yeah, these look SUPER DUPER good!

Spryte September 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

That is a FANTASTIC looking Philly Cheesesteak!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP