Spaghetti with Fresh Tomatoes

Friday, July 3, 2009

Whenever I ask my kids what they want me to make for dinner, invariably one of them always says, "spaghetti", which always makes me inwardly groan. It's not so much that I dislike spaghetti, it's just that it's always been my go-to meal for crazy days. If we're in a hurry and I can't think of what else to make, I think spaghetti, so I hate putting it on the menu because I know I'll end up making it a couple times a month anyway. Then I found this simple spaghetti recipe from Light and Tasty and I'm singing a whole new tune now! With its perfectly delectable combination of basil, mozzarella cheese, and fresh tomatoes, it's the very epitome of a perfect summer meal and I'll be adding it to the menu often!


The ingredients:

1 package (8-oz.) spaghetti noodles (the original recipe called for 16-oz., but I thought it was a little noodle heavy so I changed it)
2 lbs. fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped
12 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1-1/4 cups julienned fresh basil
1 can (2-1/4-oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained
4 tsp. basalmic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs. olive oil

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, combine the tomatoes, cheese, basil, olives, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Drain spaghetti; add to tomato mixture and toss to combine.

In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook garlic in oil until tender. Pour over spaghetti mixture; toss to coat. Makes 8 servings.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Heidi July 3, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

Our tomatoes in our garden are finally turning red. This would make perfect use of them! YUMMY :)

Melody July 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

That looks so fresh and healthy. I what a great way to perk up regular old spaghetti. Thanks for the recipe and happy 4th!

MaRiN July 3, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

What a great twist to a boring original meal! My kids love pasta- and if I add olives, it's a match made in heaven for them!

teresa July 3, 2009 at 7:09 PM  

Spaghetti is always one of our go-to meals too, but next time I make it, I'm making it like this! YUM!

Katy ~ July 3, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

Fresh tomatoes and basil, a perfect marriage with pasta! Love it, love it!

Coleens Recipes July 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

I am SO envious of your fresh tomatoes and basil...yummm, I can't wait.We don't even have tomato FLOWERS yet, so it will be a while.

Anonymous,  July 3, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

sounds ultra-fresh and tasty! I wouldn't mind more spaghetti with such a great and refreshing sauce!

Julie July 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

That looks amazing...thanks :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP