Christmas Cookies: Chocolate Dipped Macaroons

Sunday, December 13, 2009

I love this time of year when it's perfectly acceptable to bake goodies every day of the week and no one even thinks twice about it.  Goodies to eat, goodies to share with friends, goodies for parties, and goodies as gifts--it's all good!  I made these delightful cookies for a luncheon last Christmas and was asked several times for the recipe.  Covered in chocolate and with all that good  coconut flavor this recipe from Epicurious is the perfect creative cookie to share!


Click here for printable recipe


The ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tsp. finely grated orange peel
3 large eggs
24 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (about 6 cups firmly packed)
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted


Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar and salt; beat until blended. Beat in orange peel, then eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in coconut. Drop batter onto sheets by tablespoonfuls, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.

Bake macaroons, 1 sheet at a time, until golden on bottom and browned in spots, 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool completely on sheets.

Using fork, drizzle chocolate over macaroons. ( I also dipped the bottoms into the chocolate, which seemed to be a big hit at the luncheon). Chill on sheets until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Heidi December 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

Yummy! I love coconut and chocolate. These look great.

Melody December 13, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

So pretty. I love the drizzle!

Katy ~ December 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

I haven't made coconut macaroons in ages. Love the chocolate drizzle on yours. YUM!!

Kim December 14, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

I've never had a macaroon before, but I would sure like to try yours!

Mirien December 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

I'm definitely making these as soon as I buy more coconut. And I noticed that they are gluten-free so I'm going to bring some to my Celiac friend! These look so good. What about an almond on top, under the chocolate drizzle?

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP