Grandma's Saltine English Toffee Recipe

Friday, December 4, 2009

Salty and sweet....my favorite combination !  The saltines add just the right balance of crispy lightness to the richness of the toffee and chocolate.  This toffee recipe from my mother-in-law (Grandma Sandy to the kids) is truly addicting....so much so that my friend calls it "Christmas crack" and I usually end up making several batches each holiday season.  If you haven't tried this yet...now's the time!  


Click here for printable recipe


The ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs. light Karo syrup
1/4 cup water
saltine crackers
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)

To prepare: Arrange saltines salty side up on cookie sheet. Have the chocolate chips measured and nearby. Have a glass with cold water right next to the stove, ready to test the stage of the candy.

Combine the butter, syrup, sugar, and water and stir constantly on medium heat until boiling. Boil until it reaches the hard crack stage (when dropped into the cold water it will crack and break easily) and the mixture will be brown (no longer golden). It took about 15-20 minutes for me to reach this point. NOT READY YET!!!


NOW IT'S READY!

When you've reached the hard crack stage--pour and spread quickly covering the saltines. Immediately pour the chocolate chips over the hot mixture and spread them covering the toffee (they will melt themselves when they touch the hot toffee). Spread the sliced almonds over the top, pushing them down slightly with the back of the spoon. Allow to cool and set. Break apart into bite size pieces.

Enjoy!


*********
Come back every day through December 2010 for a new holiday goody recipe! 
Don't forget to grab my button and link back to us...




Recipe Shoebox


6 comments:

K December 4, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

Do you know how bad I want to make this now? Thanks a lot Lara! (o: There goes my diet again.
What I meant to say is that I love this recipe. It is so yummy!

redkathy December 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Oh I love making toffee. have never tried the English variety. Looks really good! Thanks for sharing it!

Katy ~ December 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

Would you believe that the first time ever I had something similar (not as good as yours, I'm sure!) was last Christmas. Excellent! This is a wonderful candy to make and share, loved by many, including me!

Kim December 4, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

I have seen Paula Deen make these before and wondered how it would taste. I too LOVE toffee and am glad to hear that this is an easy and delicious treat :D

teresa December 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

i've seen paula do something like this too, and ever since i've been intrigued with the saltines. they look SO good, great job!

Melody December 5, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

I am so trying this. My kids would have fun arranging the saltines and sprinkling the chocolate chips. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP