Layered Coconut-Lemon Cake

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ever since I started on my once-a-week sugar quest in February, dessert recipes have become pretty sparse here on the Recipe Shoebox.   This is a cake my teenage daughter created for us one Sunday, which just so happens to be my sugar day.  The way it all came together with the lemon filling, coconut, and fluffy frosting made it completely unforgettable in taste and presentation! 


 Click here for printable recipe.



LEMON FILLING: 
Juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbs. butter, melted

Put all the ingredients in a double boiler ( a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water).  Stir over simmering water until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.  Chill.



CAKE:
6 Tbs. butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, separated
2-1/4 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg yolks and beat until thick and lemon colored. With a fork, mix together dry ingredients and add them to the egg mixture alternately with the milk; stir in vanilla.  Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.  Divde batter between 3 well-greased 8-inch cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool completely and remove from pans.  Before fosting cut off rough edges of cake with sharp scissors. 



FROSTING: 
1/3 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
pinch of salt
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
sweetened coconut

Stir the water, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt together in a small heavy-bottomed pan.  Hook a candy thermometer to the edge of the pan and boil without stirring until mixture reaches 240 degrees F. Meanwhile, beat egg whites until stiff.  Pour the 240 degree syrup over the whites in a thin stream, beating constantly until thick and glossy.  Stir in vanilla.  Frost the cake and sprinkle coconut onto sides and over the top.

TO ASSEMBLE: 
Put the chilled lemon filling between the cooled cake layers--trying not to let too much of it get on the sides of the cake.

Frost the cake

then sprinkle on coconut thickly, gently pressing it into the sides.

During this process the cake may slip and slide a little, but just slide it back straight.  Garnish with raspberries, lemon slices, and/or mint leaves.



Enjoy!

5 comments:

Kim September 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

I really like that your children are so into cooking and baking. Your daughter did a fabulous job with this cake. It looks perfectly decorated!

Love the coconut and lemon combo.

Debbie September 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

It looks so delicious and what a pretty cake!

FoodontheTable September 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

Yummy! I love lemon and coconut. I'll have to try this. It looks beautiful.

Clarinda September 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Wow! This looks amazing! You daughter is very talented. :-) Too bad too many people in my family dislike coconut.

Lynn September 26, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

Oh. My. I would eat this up in a heartbeat. I like your idea of having one "sugar day" a week. I have tried to cut back on sugar these last few years, too, but I am sure I couldn't make it to just once a week ;o Good for you! You go, girl.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP