Spinach and Chicken Pasta Salad

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

With the hot weather here in force, I've been searching for new recipes that won't heat up the whole house.  I especially love the kind where you can make them early in the day when it's still cool and then pull it out of the fridge ready to go for dinner and this recipe from my friend Jenny fit the bill perfectly!  I made it in the morning, stuck it in the fridge until it was time to head to the pool, then while everyone around us sat and munched on delivered pizza, we enjoyed a fresh, healthy, yummy meal! 
Click here for printable recipe.



The ingredients:
1 box (16-oz) bow tie pasta, cooked al dente
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced (I used 2  Costco cans (12.5-oz. each))
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 bag (9-oz.) baby spinach leaves, chopped
3/4 cup honey roasted peanuts
3/4 cup Craisins
2 cans (11-oz. each) mandarin oranges, drained

MARINADE:
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup teriyaki sauce
2/3 cup white vinegar
6 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper


Directions:  For marinade, combine ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Set aside.

For salad, mix together cooked pasta, cooked chicken, chopped spinach, and chopped green onions in a large bowl or large Ziploc bag.  Pour marinade over pasta and chicken mixture, stir well, and allow to marinate for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
To serve, heap a generous portion of the chicken, spinach, and pasta mixture onto a plate.  Sprinkle with peanuts, Craisins, and mandarin oranges over all.  Makes 8 servings.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Pam June 8, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

This is a great recipe that I will have to try but it will have to wait until it warms up. I'm getting ready to turn the heat on right now. I bet this is wonderful with the peanuts, Craisins and mandarin oranges. Good job!

FoodontheTable June 8, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

This looks so good! I think the dressing sounds great. The combo will no doubt be a great salad. This would be a great side to some salmon.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP