Apple Nut Coffee Cake

Friday, March 12, 2010

This week at I ♥ Faces is dessert week, which was easy for me, since I do these kinds of tutorials all the time here on the Recipe Shoebox.    This moist crumbed coffee cake was a show-stopper with its fancy presentation and out-of-this-world taste.   Served up with some fresh fruit, you will have a dessert or brunch no one will soon forget!  Be sure to go check out  I ♥ Faces  for lots more dessert tutorials and photos!


Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:


CAKE:
1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 container (16-oz.) sour cream (2 cups)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
large eggs
1 Tbs. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2-1/2 cups flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
4-5 medium apples (Gala, Granny Smith, or Golden Delicious)

STREUSEL:
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2/3 cup flour 
4 Tbs. butter


DIRECTIONS:  Prepare streusel topping by combining in a medium size bowl the chopped walnuts or pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, 2/3 cup flour, and 4 tablespoons butter until mixture forms large pieces.  Next peel, core, halve, and thinly slice apples, then toss apples with 2 tablespoons white sugar.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 14x10-inch roasting pan.  

In a large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat 1 cup butter with 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.  Add sour cream, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, eggs, and  2-1/2 cups flour.  Beat mixture at low speed until blended, occasionally scraping bowl.  Increase speed to medium; beat 1 minute.  Spread batter in pan to corners.  Arrange apple slices on top to edge of pan (it took me 4-1/2 apples to cover).    


Crumble streusel topping over apple layer.  

Bake 45-50 minutes, until cake pulls away from sides of pan.  Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.  Serve warm or cool.  


Serves 12.   Enjoy! 

1 comments:

Katy ~ April 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

Oh my stars, you're right. This IS a showstopper! Bookmarked! I can't wait to serve it when I have more than just me and Ole Sweetie-Pi. This looks amazing!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP