Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

This is one of our favorite meals of all time! I got this recipe when I was newly married and living in Baltimore. When I first tried this at an Enrichment meeting I was struck by how delicious it was. Then when I discovered how easy it is to make I was completely hooked and it has been a regular part of our winter menu for the better part of a decade! Of course I have to make it once every summer for Cami's birthday dinner as well.  We love it served with some fresh crusty bread, like our bread bowls or French Peasant Bread.


The ingredients:

1 Tbs. oil
3 cups water
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 pkg. (10-oz.) chopped broccoli, thawed
3 cups milk
1 medium onion, chopped
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
pepper and garlic to taste (I use pressed fresh garlic, but the recipe calls for garlic powder)

Heat oil, add onions. Saute 3 minutes. Add water. Heat to boiling. Stir in bouillon cubes until dissolved. Add noodles and salt gradually so mixture continues to boil. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add broccoli and garlic . NOTE: To prevent my kids from picking out all the broccoli (can you believe it?), I blend about half of the frozen broccoli with a cup of the milk before adding it to the soup (I'm so tricky!). I chop the other half into small chunks. Cook 3 minutes more. Add milk, pepper, and cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Serves 6.

We like this served in bread bowls, but if you didn't have time to make bread bowls any kind of bread served on the side would be the perfect accompaniment.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Clarinda January 9, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

Any chance you could post a recipe for the bread bowl, too?

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography April 5, 2011 at 12:02 AM  

This sounds wonderful. I have been on the lookout for a broccoli cheese soup recipe to fall in love with. Thank you.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP