Gingerbread Pancakes

Monday, November 22, 2010

   As much as I love a good hearty breakfast, I rarely have time to cook it myself.  Breakfast is almost exclusively a kid-cooked meal in our house.  My kids actually even fight over whose turn it is to fix breakfast and occasionally I even have to forbid them from making something when there have been a few too many syrup soaked meals in a week.    This particular recipe was one my 5-year-old picked out of our church cookbook and whipped together herself (with a little matronly help with reading the recipe and the measuring).  She had heard the word, "Gingerbread" and got so excited there was no need to look further.  These were as simple to make as any other pancake, but the spices and molasses gave it a rich gingerbready flavor that we loved.  I thought it was perfect with a pat of butter and good old fashioned maple syrup, although my teenage daughter really wants to try them with the Cinnamon-Brown Butter-Pecan Topping next time we make them.  Thanks to my friend Cindy for  another great recipe!  

By the way, I'm taking the rest of this week off from blogging and will be back sometime next week! 
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1-1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup molasses
3 Tbs. oil

Directions:  Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.  Beat together egg and milk in a large bowl.  Stir in molasses and then oil.  Add flour mixture and stir just until combined.


Lightly grease a griddle or skillet.  Pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle and cook until puffed and bubbly, turn and cook until golden.  Enjoy! 

With a name like "Gingerbread Pancakes", we, of course,  had to try and make a pancake shaped like a gingerbread man. 

4 comments:

Holly November 23, 2010 at 2:37 AM  

Love that last picture of your daughter;) These sound fab! Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

teresa November 23, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

gingerbread has been one of my favorite flavors lately. these look awesome!

Lyndas recipe box November 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

These pancakes look amazing; I will try these some evening when we are wanting breakfast for dinner! It seems like I make pancakes at dinner time more than for breakfast.

Mirien November 25, 2010 at 3:31 AM  

Those look delicious--I'll try them for Alyssa's birthday next week. She's a big gingerbread fan. But it sounds like my Corinne wouldn't survive in your house. Whenever I (yes, I--your kids really fight over the "privilege"?) make pancakes or waffles she gets ultra dramatic and begs to know why I make food she doesn't like. It's torture for her to eat a few bites, because I refuse to fix her anything else. What kid doesn't like a reason for syrup and butter?

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP