Pumpkin Soup with Gruyere Cheese

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The arrival of October has brought with it a new found excitement in our house. I am ecstatic that all the back-to-school nights are finally done for the year and for the kids it means Halloween and lots of family birthdays. My almost-seven-year-old son was so excited about October's arrival that he asked me to make him a special pumpkin soup in celebration. Of course, I am not one to argue with cute children asking for healthy meals, so I obliged him!

The kids were eager to help me in the cause and couldn't wait until dinner time to try out this cheesy version of pumpkin soup. Other than the time it took scooping out the flesh from the pumpkin, it was pretty quick and easy to make and certainly looked the part of a beautiful autumn feast. Glen and I enjoyed the cheesy flavor with the hint of citrus to it, but the kids were only so/so on whether they liked it or not. They all finished their bowls, but it definitely did not go on their favorite list. My thought is that's its worth having once a year to celebrate the arrival of October in style, but probably not one we'll add to our every day menu!

(Darn it's often getting dark now when I finish the meals.
I need to make a lightbox or something to improve my photography)


Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
8 cups chopped pumpkin flesh (from ~5 lb. pumpkin)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1-1/2 cups light cream
2 Tbs. grated orange zest
2 Tbs. fresh orange juice
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 lb. Gruye're or Swiss cheese, shredded ( I used Swiss)
salt and white pepper, to taste
2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh chives

Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out any strings and seeds. With a sturdy knife, cut away the hard peel. Coarsely chop the flesh until you have about 8 cups. (NOTE: I cut the top third of my pumpkin off, used my melon baller and scooped out as much as I could from the top section before proceeding to the bottom. That way I could save the bottom for serving the soup in).



In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until it begins to turn golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Add the stock, chopped pumpkin and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender; 15-30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
In small batches, puree the soup in a food processor or blender. Return the puree to the pan and stir in the cream, orange zest, orange and lemon juices, nutmeg and ginger. Reserve a handful of the cheese and sprinkle the rest into the soup; stir over low heat until the cheese melts and blends in. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Pour into pumpkin shell or individual bowls and garnish with reserved cheese and chives. Serves 10.


NOTE: Do NOT simmer, as it will make the soup separate.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

SnoWhite October 7, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

That looks great! You are so creative.

Katy ~ October 7, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

Oh boy, oh boy, am I craving your soup. It looks and sounds positively divine!! Just let me find a big ole bowl and a soup spoon and let me eat big scoopfuls of this!

Kim October 7, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

8 cups of pumpking is a whole lot of pumpkin! It looks so cute served in the pumpkin bowl. Very festive!

Sophie October 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

This sounds so comforting! How great that you got the kiddos involved. Gorgeous presentation!

Rachel October 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

I SERIOUSLY need to try pumpkin as an adult!!! I didn't care much for pumpkin pie as a kid and b/c of that, never really tried anything else pumpkin-related, but your soup looks fabulous...especially with this cool Fall weather!

teresa October 8, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

what a fun and fancy soup! i love how you served it in a pumpkin, yummy!

MaRiN October 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Wow! Pumpkin soup! Never heard of the before, how festive!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP