Tortellini with Spinach-Walnut Pesto

Saturday, June 13, 2009

This recipe from the Rachael Ray cookbook is one of those that went into the okay category for me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't stupendous either. I'll probably make it again, since the kids liked it and it was a great way to sneak in a good dose of spinach without their knowledge, but I won't be making it every week. (Most families could easily halve this recipe and still have plenty).

Sadly I couldn't even manage to take a decent picture of it.

The ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 pkgs. (18-oz. each) cheese filled tortellini (I found mine in the frozen aisle)
1 cup chicken broth
1 package (10-oz) baby spinach, reserve a few leaves for garnish
2 cloves garlic
2/3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 cup olive oil

Toast walnut pieces in a small pan or toaster oven until lightly browned. Remove to cool

Place a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta. Add salt and tortellini; cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat chicken broth to a boil and remove from heat.

Working in batches with a food processor, grind spinach with walnuts, chicken broth, and garlic. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in cheese, nutmeg, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Toss hot, cooked tortellini with sauce, then turn pasta out onto a serving platter and garnish with a few baby spinach leaves. Makes 10 servings.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Melody June 13, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

Looks good and what a great way to sneak in some great vitamins. Thanks!

Kristen June 13, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

I do like the idea of sneaking in spinach, I bet my kids would like these too :o)

Katy ~ June 13, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

Certainly looks interesting. I like the idea of the spinach.

teresa June 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

I love the color of bright green pesto! It looks good!

Delectable Dining June 13, 2009 at 11:47 PM  

I love spinach, so I would certainly like to try it... it's unlike any other sort of 'pesto' dish I have ever seen!

Anonymous,  June 14, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

EEEE!!! That last pic with you slathering all the brilliantly green pesto all over the tortellini...My heart stopped for a sec. YUUUUUMMM!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP