Mexican Corn Chowder

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Now that spring has sprung I haven't been making as many soups, but on a blustery day a couple weeks ago I decided to give this recipe from Aunt Marilyn a try.  We served it up with some hot French Peasant Bread and instantly fell in love with it.  I loved the touch of creaminess the melted cheese gave to it and I also liked that it was full-flavored without being overpowering or too spicy for the kids.  Everyone enjoyed it and my husband has even asked when I would make it again. 

Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:
3 Tbs. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green or red pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 can (4-oz) chopped green chilies
1 can (16-oz) whole tomatoes, drained and broken up
2 cans (16-oz each) cream-style corn
1 can (16-oz) whole kernel corn
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
1 Tbs. taco sauce or salsa
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions:  In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender.

Add chilies and tomatoes and blend well.

Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.  Stir in cheese just before serving.  Serve hot with fresh bread.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Katy ~ May 16, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

At the hospital where I work, they serve a very good Mexican corn chowder, so for a long time I've been looking for a good recipe. Once again, you have come through for me. I am definitely going to try this!

Lila May 16, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

Hmmm...I'm thinking of this recipe without the soup part and putting it on buns...because that's what I have! Perfect!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

teresa May 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

oooh, this looks so good! fantastic comfort food!

Kim May 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

I've been craving soup lately, whether it is hot or cold. I guess I don't eat seasonally. This looks fantastic. My family would love it.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP