Cheese Tortellini with Corn-Scallion Sauce

Monday, August 17, 2009

Each Wednesday our local newspaper, the Washington Post, publishes a section totally devoted to one of my favorite subjects...FOOD! It reviews restaurants, spotlights local chefs, compares different brands of food, and of course has lots of recipes. While I enjoy reading this section, most of the time the recipes are just not my style so I just skim right over them. A couple of weeks ago though most of the recipes featured corn as the main ingredient and I ended up cutting out half of the section excited for all the new recipes I could try. I started off by making the corn broth which was the base for most of the recipes and while I did like the corny (hehe!) flavor it provided, I think it would've been just as good with plain vegetable broth.

This recipe was one that caught my eye right away for its kid appeal. It turned out a little more liquidy than I expected (based on their pictures), but the flavor on this vegetarian dish was great and as expected the kids loved the noodle and corn combination.



The ingredients:

Click here for Printable Recipe

4 tsp. butter
4 tsp. olive oil
8 scallions, white and light green parts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cans (15-1/4-oz. each) whole kernel corn
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup corn broth ( click for link or just use vegetable broth)
1 package (19-oz.) frozen cheese tortellini
Salt, pepper to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Combine the butter and oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter has begun to foam, add the scallions and corn; cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes, until the color of the corn becomes more intense.

Add the buttermilk and corn broth (or vegetable broth); bring to a boil, then add the tortellini and toss to combine. Cover and reduce the heat to medium; cook for about 4 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from the heat.

Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Transfer to a wide shallow bowl and sprinkle the cheese on top, if desired. Makes 4 servings.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

My Little Space August 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

I like this recipe! Simple and healthy. Thanks & have a nice day!

MaRiN August 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

Wow, corn broth? Never heard of it. Did you some or use vegetable broth? Sounds yummy. I love your serving dish too!

Lara August 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

I actually did make the corn broth, but when I make it again in the future I would just use vegetable broth.

Katy ~ August 17, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

This looks sooooo very good to me right now! I will take your advice and use veggie broth!

Lynn August 17, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Oh how fun to come up with more dishes the kids will eat! Good job.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP