Chili Cornbread Salad

Monday, May 18, 2009


Need something fresh and different to spice up your summer menu?  This is one of those old classics I found in a family recipe book.  My aunt and uncle make this all the time for their family in the summertime and after trying it we just loved all it's cool freshness and savory flavors.   It does make quite a bit, but since it tastes just as good the next day you won't mind eating this as leftovers.  
Click here for printable recipe

The ingredients:

The ingredients:
1 pkg. (8-1/2 oz.) Jiffy cornbread muffin mix

1 can (4-oz) chopped green chilies
1/8 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. cumin
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
2 cans (15-oz. each) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed, dried
2 cans (15-1/4 oz. each) whole kernel corn, drained
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
10 bacon strips, crumbled
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Prepare cornbread mix as indicated on box, then stir in chilies, cumin, and oregano and spread in greased pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  

In a bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and dressing mix.  In a separate bowl, mix corn, tomatoes, green pepper, green onion, bacon, and cheese.  

Crumble 1/2 of cornbread into 9X13" pan.  Then layer 1/2 beans, then 1/2 mayonnaise mixture, and 1/2 corn/bacon mixture.  Repeat layers.  Refrigerate 2 hours.   Serve with a fruit salad and corn bread.   Makes 8-10 main dish servings. 

Enjoy!   

11 comments:

Charlene May 18, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

Yay!! I am excited to try this new recipe. I am always looking for new summer recipes!

Heidi May 18, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

I've never had anything like this before. It looks wonderful!

Netts Nook May 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

What a great healthy salad. Looks like a winner for me thanks for sharing.

teresa May 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Ooooh, what a colorful summer dish! Looks wonderful!

Katy ~ May 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

Now, this is an interesting recipe; I am very intrigued by it. Lots of good things in it, I love cornbread and all the other ingredients...it just has to be wonderful! Great post, different and delicious!

Katy ~ May 18, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

I meant to mention, I LOVE your new header! Just adorable!

Kristen May 18, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

Sounds Summery fresh! - I like your new look too :o)

Harmony May 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

I bought all of the fixings for this salad and made it for dinner tonight. Well, it was a hit. We all loved it and there is plenty more for another meal. Thank you !

Jill June 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM  

I made this for a Ward Potluck and it was a hit. It's a BEAUTIFUL dish. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous,  September 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM  

I made this for a potluck and it was WONDERFUL. The only thing though is that I omitted the green chilies and cumin and oregano (I hate these). Also, since there were other dishes with beans, I replaced the pinto beans with chickpeas. Thanks for the recipe. It was really tasty!
Regine

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP