Bread Bowl Recipe

Saturday, October 25, 2008

My kids think being able eat their bowl is about the coolest thing ever.  I like to cut a heart shape in the top just to add an extra measure of love! :)


Click here for printable recipe!


The ingredients:
1 Tbs. yeast
1-1/2 cup lukewarm water (110-115 degrees)
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
4-5 cups flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour)


Directions:  Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Combine in one large bowl the remainder of the water, sugar, salt, and yeast mixture. Add just enough flour until dough is stiff enough to handle. Knead well (in Kitchen-Aid of course). Cover and let rise for 1 hour (I'm usually in too big of a hurry, so I skip this step).

Then divide dough into 6-8 sections and form into round shape. Place on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal and allow to rise about 1/2 hour. Before baking, generously brush each bread bowl with an egg white mixed with 1 Tbs. warm water. Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until golden.

When they are finished baking, cut a shape off the top of each one (making a lid). Then scoop out the soft part with a spoon reserving it for dipping in the soup if desired.

Serve with your favorite creamy soup inside! Our favorites....broccoli cheese soup and potato soup!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Martha A. January 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM  

These turned out really good!!! I made them with half whole wheat flour too!

Anonymous,  February 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM  

These were so super easy to make!! I made your potato soup and these bread bowls to go with them for dinner tonight!! In honor of Valentines Day, I cut hearts out of the tops of the bowls :-) Thanks!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP