"Secret" Buttermilk Caramel Syrup

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I had never heard of buttermilk syrup before our friend Adam came to stay with us for 10 days. While he was here he mentioned a secret buttermilk syrup recipe that someone had given him. Of course I heard the words "secret" and "recipe" in the same sentence and I just about went berserk with curiosity first at what the heck buttermilk syrup was and then how I could get my hands on that recipe.

Try as I might I never did get Adam to reveal his secret, but what I did do is get him to tell me which recipes out there were similar to his. This is one that was supposed to be pretty close and boy it was a fun, different topping for our waffles this morning! It reminded me a little of a caramel topping--about the same consistency, but with a little bit of a milder flavor. It was especially good with some fresh berries. Yum.

Now if anyone knows a nonviolent way to get people to divulge their secret recipes, just let me know. I don't want to be knocking anyone out or anything...
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (no substitutions)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 Tbs. light Karo syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Combine butter, sugar, buttermilk, and Karo syrup in a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until bubbling evenly. Let cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the baking soda and vanilla (and cinnamon if you want). Stir until blended. The baking soda will fizz. Serve warm with waffles or pancakes. Saves in fridge for up to two weeks. This is also great with fresh fruit.
Enjoy!

8 comments:

Redkathy September 23, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

Ssshhhhh Everyone will want this.

Peggy Clyde September 23, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

I posted a buttermilk syrup recipe on July 20 that is quite similar to this. My blog is peggyspantry.blogspot.com. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn September 23, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Oh yum, I must try this. I have a recipe out on my counter right now that I intend to try today, one for a vanilla sauce that can be used on waffles. I'm planning to use it on fruit. This one you have sounds delightful. Printing :)

teresa September 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

oh yum, this stuff is KILLER on bread pudding..

Katy ~ September 24, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

You are too funny. I have been wondering about this recipe in lieu of maple syrup (as we don't always have syrup on hand) and it looks so much better than the artificial syrups. I certainly must try this as we eat any number of pancakes and waffles during the weekend breakfasts.

Brittany October 14, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

My family loves these kinds of syrup!! We have a very similiar one that is posted on our blog. It's a coconut version...delicious!

Randy and Tasha September 2, 2011 at 7:50 PM  

W.O.W. This is so good! my son changed the name to "that yummy syrup" and wants it on his waffles every day!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP