Caramel Rolls

Wednesday, October 14, 2009


I am an impatient cook. I like things to move fast, which means that cooking bread can be a frustrating experience for me. I do like homemade bread, but since I usually cut down rising times and take any other short cut I can think of, my bread often does not reach its full potential.

Lucky for me I have my sister living with us for a while who is much more patient than I am. When she asked me if she could make us these caramel rolls one day I didn't have think hard about what my answer would be...yes, yes, and how quickly will they be done?

She patiently followed the recipe perfectly, set the timer to make sure it rose long enough, and tediously took her time creating each perfectly shaped roll and the results were perfectly soft and delectable. As imagined, they were quite sweet, but the texture was oh so perfect and I can't wait for her to offer to make them again!



Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
2 Tbs. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
1-1/2 cups lukewarm milk (95-100 degrees)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup oil
6-3/4 to 7-1/2 cups flour, divided
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

CARAMEL SAUCE:
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream or half & half

Prepare caramel sauce first, by combining in a medium saucepan butter, brown sugar, and cream. Bring to boil; cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; pour sauce into greased 9x13-inch baking pan. Cool completely at room temperature.

Next dissolve yeast is warm water; let rise. In a large mixing bowl, combine lukewarm milk, sugar, salt, eggs, oil, and 3-3/4 cups of the flour; add yeast mixture, mixing until smooth. Knead dough with up to 3-3/4 cups of the remaining flour; place into greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover; let rise until doubled.

Roll out dough into a 15x6-inch rectangle. Spread with softened butter, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up into a long skinny tube; pinch shut. slice dough into rolls, 3/4-inch thick. Place dough, face down, into prepared pan with caramel sauce; let rise. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done. Let cool 10 minutes then invert onto serving tray. I spooned whatever caramel sauce remained in the pan over the rolls. Makes 12.

Enjoy!



Check out Sweet Rolls that Rock for lots more yummy looking sweet roll ideas!

Sweet Rolls that Rock

11 comments:

Melody October 14, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

I too am an impatient cook. These look worth the wait though!

SnoWhite October 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

My grandma is famous for rolls like these... she brings them to every and all family gatherings!!

Charlene October 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

they look delicious!! Does she deliver?

Arlene Delloro October 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

In my next life I will be born thin for life and will eat these every day.

Katy ~ October 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

YUM YUM YUM on the caramel sauce!!!!

Katy ~ October 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

YUM YUM YUM on the caramel sauce!!!!

Rae Lynn and Brett October 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

My grandmother's sweet rolls are almost exactly like this, with the caramel bottoms. I love them! Yummy!!

Brittany October 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

oops that was me, not Raelynn on that last comment...

Coleens Recipes October 14, 2009 at 9:45 PM  

What a nice recipe, your sister is right, you can't rush a good baker.

teresa October 14, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

these look just sinful! i love it!

Kim October 15, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

These look delicious. Plus, doesn't it always taste better when someone else makes something for you? I am also impatient. I can never wait for something to be done and it's so hard for me to be patient enough to get a good picture!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP