Cooking with Kids: Easiest Orange Jello Salad Ever

Monday, June 22, 2009


Need a quick side dish or dessert, but don't have time to make it? Just keep these few ingredients on hand and when you remember at the last second that potluck at the church or need something quick to round out a summer meal; just give these ingredients to your kids and VOILA 5 minutes later and you have a cool, sweet tasting and no one will ever have to know it was so easy your teenage son could have made it. :)
If your kids don't like the chunkiness of cottage cheese like a few of mine, then just zip the cottage cheese in the food processor really quick and they'll never know it's there!
Come back here every Monday during the summer for more Cooking with Kids ideas


Click here for Printable Recipe.

The ingredients:

1 small package (3-oz.) orange Jello
1 can (20-oz.) crushed pineapple (I only had pineapple chunks, so I just drained them then stuck them in the food processor for a few seconds)
1 carton (16-oz.) cottage cheese
1 can (11-oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
1 carton (8-oz.) Cool Whip




Add the dry orange Jello packet

and a 16-ounce carton of cottage cheese (you can blend this first if you don't like the texture)

then dump in a whole can of drained mandarin oranges,

and a whole can of crushed pineapple.

Lastly dollop in an entire carton of Cool Whip

and try to contain your excitement when you stir it up. :)


Eight servings just like that! Way to go Adam!


Enjoy!

10 comments:

Coleens Recipes June 23, 2009 at 3:08 AM  

I LOVE the photos of your junior cook (especially the one where his tongue is sticking out Michael Jordan style)!

Rachel June 23, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

I'm so excited to see what you have in store with your "cooking with kids ideas"! I'm so grateful that you gave the suggestion about the cottage cheese, because neither of my kids will eat it and I'm guessing it's a "texture issue".

annalisa June 23, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

i really liked this jello salad! i'd never had it before and thought it was delicious!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 June 24, 2009 at 1:37 AM  

(I arrived here via the Foodie BlogRoll)

Your kids are adorable and your recipes sound wonderful.

I'll definitely be back!

Ziho June 24, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

yummy!!! this recipe is so easy...thanks

Deanne June 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM  

I made this tonight and thought it was great! My picky eaters were not as excited about it though. Next time I'll have them make it and then maybe they'll like it better.

Have you tried any variations? Strawberry jello with strawberries or same recipe with lime jello? I think my kids would have fun with all different color options! Thanks for sharing.

Avril January 10, 2011 at 9:36 AM  

What a treat of a salad! Contains so many of my daughter's favorite foods too! She will be in HEAVEN when I get all these ingredients together for her to make this treat. Many Thanks for sharing! :-)

Jill June 6, 2011 at 12:59 AM  

this salad is a staple in our family and has been for years. It's good with any flavor of Jell-O (but some colors are more appealing than others). My husband loves it as a chip dip (with Ruffles) - sounds strange but it's a great salty/sweet combination!

Robin June 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM  

Your cooking blog has quickly become my favorite. I love the way you lay out the recipes and the link for the printable recipes. And so kid friendly for this mom of 4! Love, love, love!!

Susan@FruitfulWords June 26, 2011 at 12:14 AM  

We make something similar. we call it "green stuff." The ingredients are as follows: 1 pkg instant pistachio pudding,20 oz. crushed pineapple, 16 oz. cottage cheese and 8 oz. cool whip. Mix all of them together. Tasty combo.

Next time I will try your recipe. It sounds tasty too.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP