Flemish Carrot Soup

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I found this recipe in a little bit of a round about way. Originally I saw a picture and description of it by Kristen on Whatcha Eatin' , that then linked to Food For a Hungry Soul by Katy. After seeing the glowing reviews and yummy looking pictures on both of them, I decided to give it a try too. The whole time it was cooking, I had hungry kids (large and small) popping their heads in to see what smelled so good. After we actually ate it they were totally smitten, asking if I could make it again sometime soon(a sure sign of a winner!) Thanks Kristen and Katy!

The ingredients:
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 large onion, sliced
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
1-1/2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
1 Tbs. fresh thyme or 1-1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup milk, plus additional if needed
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
croutons or French bread

Melt the butter in heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the green onions and onions, cook, stirring until wilted but not browned, about 10 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, carrots, potato, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover, simmer until the vegetables are very soft, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool a little. Discard the bay leaf.
Puree the soup in small batches in a blender or food processor. Return the soup to the pot and stir in the milk, adding a little more if the soup is too thick for your liking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Reheat gently and serve sprinkled with minced parsley. Serve hot with croutons or French bread. Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Katy ~ May 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

I am just thrilled to pieces that you and your family enjoyed this! I can't get the smile off my face.

Heidi May 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

I've never eaten carrot soup. It sounds and looks heavenly!

Kristen May 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

I'm so glad to have found it on Katy's site, it was really delicious - I'm glad your family enjoyed it too :o)

Rachel May 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

I've never tried carrot soup, but it sounds wonderful!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP