Pumpkin Roll

Thursday, October 21, 2010

This is one of my favorite parts of autumn--the pumpkin roll.  With its intricate swirls and delicate dusting of powdered sugar, it's  definitely one of the most elegant looking desserts you can make in under 30 minutes.  My 13-year-old daughter has become the pumpkin roll baker in our house (including the photos you see here) and somehow I feel so spoiled every time she whips one up for us! 

Click here for printable recipe.



The ingredients:
eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ginger
2 Tbs. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup pecans (optional)

FILLING:

6-oz. cream cheese
1/2 tsp. vanilla
 1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter

Directions:  Beat eggs on high speed 5 minutes.  Gradually add sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice.  Sift flour, spices, salt, and the baking powder.  Fold sifted ingredients into pumpkin mixture.  Line a 15x10x1-inch pan with wax paper.  Spread mixture in pan and sprinkle with nuts (if desired).

 Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

Sprinkle powdered sugar on  kitchen towel.

 Loosen edges of cake and immediately invert onto towel.   Remove wax paper. 

Roll up cake and towel as for a jelly roll, beginning with narrow edge.

 Cool completely.

 Combine filling ingredients and mix until smooth.

Unroll.   







Spread filling and roll back up.



Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.


Wrap in aluminum foil or plastic and chill in freezer for several hours before serving.

 Cut into slices and serve cold.  Makes 10 servings.
Enjoy!

9 comments:

SnoWhite October 21, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

For as much as I love fall and pumpkin... I've never even tried a pumpkin roll! I might have to render that this year ;-)

Kim October 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Pumpkin roll is one of my favorite desserts. I just love it. Your daughter did a wonderful job. At 13 years old, I was lucky if I made brownies. Imagine the things she'll be making in another couple of years..

Anonymous,  October 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

I LOVE pumpkin rolls and cannot believe I am yet to make one this fall. Your recipe sounds wonderful. I am absolutely blown away that your daughter made this! That's so great. You are obviously passing along great kitchen wisdom to her and making lifelong memories in the process. Have a great day!

Lyndas recipe box October 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

I love anything made with pumpkin, but I haven't tried making a pumpkin roll yet. Your daughter did a wonderful job!

Coleens Recipes October 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

VERY impressive that your 13 year old can make a pumpkin roll...and so well!! Way to go.

Debbie October 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM  

I have yet to ever make a pumpkin roll and I have promised myself I will make one this fall!!! That's great that your daughter can make one!!!

Julie October 21, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

She did a wonderful job! My step sister used to make this for us every year...I miss it. (and her too :)

Kristen October 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

This sounds like something I would love!

Anonymous,  January 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM  

I made this for my husband a few days ago and he thought it was AMAZING. Will deff. make again. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP