Snickerdoodle Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

 My daughter whipped this cake up for us one Sunday afternoon and we fell instantly in love with the moist textured "snickerdoodly" cake.  The recipe is from Michelle over at Scribbit who blogs about her adventures of motherhood in AlaskaI love her perspective on life and motherhood (and her weekend recipes too)!  Note that there are 2 versions for this cake.  We tried the cake mix version, but Michelle swears by the scratch version too.  Enjoy! 

 Click here for printable recipe. 

VERSION #1 CAKE (with cake mix):
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup applesauce
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

VERSION #2 CAKE (from scratch):
2-1/3 cups flour
1-1/3 cups sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1-1/3 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter
3 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. cinnamon

CINNAMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter
4 ounces cream cheese
3-1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. butter extract (in the cake supply section of the craft store)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS: For both cake mix and scratch versions of the cake:  Mix all the cake ingredients in a large bowl in order listed and beat on high for about three minutes.

Divide batter between three greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans (or one large 9X13 pan) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Meanwhile, for frosting, beat the butter and creamed cheese together until creamy. Add the vanilla and butter extract and combine then add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and adding the milk as you go to keep it from getting too hard. Once it's to spreading consistency add the cinnamon.

When the cake is cool frost and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar on top.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Debbie October 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM  

What a great idea for a cake. It looks delicious and is another one (of the hundreds) I want to try!!!

Susan October 7, 2010 at 1:27 PM  

Oh my! I love cinnamon & I love cake! This looks amazing - as do so many of your recipes! I've added a link from my blog to yours.

Thanks for all the great inspiration!

The Double Dipped Life October 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM  

This looks amazing! My son adores anything snickerdoodle, so I might have to make this for his Bday! Thanks!

Anonymous,  January 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM  

WOW!!! This was delicious! I just discovered your website actually.. and so far I've made the One Pot Spaghetti, Cheeseburger Pasta, Pumpkin Roll, English Toffee, Easy Turtle Bites, and yesterday I tried this. Your recipes and super easy and just.. AMAZING! I love your website! Keep up the good work :)))

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP