Tomatillo and Chicken Tostadas

Thursday, April 29, 2010

If you're looking for a fun new way to use up a zucchini, this is the recipe to try.  It was by far my favorite main dish with zucchini and the flavor on these was so fabulous, that all of the kids were asking for seconds...even my 5-year-old picky girl.  By the way, you won't find anything at the store called tomatillo salsa, but from what I can tell any green salsa is a tomatillo based salsa.  You can top these with any of your favorite taco toppings, but we liked ours nice and simple with black beans and chopped cilantro. 
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:

3 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for brushing onto tortillas
1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and finely chopped (or shredded)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup tomatillo salsa (green salsa)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lime, juiced
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (we liked pepper jack)
Toppings of your choice: Chopped cilantro, black beans, chopped avocado, diced tomatoes, sour cream

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the zucchini and saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes.

Add the green onions and shredded chicken and sprinkle with cumin.  Stir until combined and add the tomatillo salsa and heat through.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken mixture and remove from heat.

While the chicken in cooking, place the tortillas on a baking sheet in a single layer.  (you'll probably have to do these in a couple batches)  Brush lightly with olive oil and bake until crispy, about 6 minutes (watch closely though, so they don't burn).

Remove from oven, but don't turn the oven off.  Top each crisped tortilla with some of the chicken mixture,

followed by a small handful of shredded cheese.

Return the tostadas to the oven to melt the cheese.  Garnish with your choice of  chopped cilantro, black beans, avocado, tomatoes, or sour cream.  We liked it simple with just the cilantro and black beans.  Makes 4-6 servings. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Lyndas recipe box April 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

Your tostadas look delicious....I love zucchini in mexican food too!

Kim April 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM  

I know I would love these (and I would like them simple just like you...cilantro and black beans and I would be set)!! They look tasty:D

teresa April 30, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

i'm in love iwth this dish! it looks so healthy!

Charlene May 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

those look so good!! Another recipe I'm looking forward to try!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP