Holiday Baking #17: Chocolate Dipped Oreos

Friday, December 17, 2010

The past few days found me (with one other person) making 100+ goody bags for the entire staff at our elementary school and despite my love of baking it didn't take me too long to realize that there was no way I could do everything as homemade and fancy as I wanted to.  That's where this awesome idea (that I have no idea where I got it from) came in.  It truly doesn't get much easier than this festive looking treat with Oreo cookies dipped in chocolate and sprinkles.  I was surprised that, despite their simplicity, they're actually very tasty and were quite the hit.  The kids helped me sprinkle them, but I'm sure with a little adult guidance they could actually be quite pretty as well.  These would be great for a last minute filler item for a plate of goodies or for a party. 

I was looking for easy, but sturdy, items to fill the goody bags, in case we couldn't track everyone down today, so besides these Dipped Oreos we also included...Ultimate Filled Peanut Butter cookies, Grandma's Saltine English Toffee, and some small Snickerdoodles made by the other person.   Any of these items would make for a great care package to mail or for bake sale items.   



Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:


1 pkg. Oreo sandwich cookies (any variety will work)
1 lb. dipping chocolate (any color will work)
Festive sprinkles

Directions:  To heat the dipping chocolate ( I get mine at a craft store), place desired amount into a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high, stopping to stir every thirty seconds until melted; about 2 minutes.   Immediately dip one side of the Oreo cookies into the melted chocolate and place the cookie chocolate dipped side up onto wax paper. 


Quickly, before the chocolate dries, sprinkle desired garnishments (my kids did this job).

When chocolate is set, if desired, flip the cookie and dip the opposite side into chocolate (maybe a contrasting color).

Sprinkle if desired.  Allow to set about 20-30 minutes (it's quicker if you place them in the fridge or freezer) and ENJOY!!!!



*********
Come back every day through December for a new holiday goody recipe! 
Don't forget to grab my button and link back to us...

Recipe Shoebox


2 comments:

Coleens Recipes December 18, 2010 at 2:33 AM  

What a great idea!!! I love the idea of flavoring the bark with a little mint.

Anonymous,  December 18, 2010 at 7:06 AM  

OH my! I love oreos, but these take ths treat to a new level.... What a fun idea! Have a great weekend.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP