Holiday Baking #16: Marshmallowy Christmas Wreaths

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hi, I’m Karey, Lara’s sister-in-law and I have a fun, simple, and delicious project to show you today. Kids who like getting messy will be all over this one! I want to call these “Rice Krispie Treat” Christmas Wreaths, but without a single rice krispie to be found, they would be more aptly called Corn Flake Treat Christmas Wreaths, which somehow just isn't quite as catchy! In any case, they are fun, easy, and cute and would be perfect for an allergy friendly treat to bring to a classroom!  Hope you enjoy!
IMG_4046

Click here for printable recipe. 


IMG_4039Ingredients:
8 cups mini marshmallows (about 2 bags)
6 Tbs. butter
green
and yellow food coloring
5 cups corn flakes
PAM Cooking Spray

M&Ms
or red hots for decorating
Directions:
Prepare two cookie sheets, by lining with wax paper or parchment paper, and spraying with PAM, or generously buttering the paper.
Melt marshmallows and butter in the microwave on High power for 1-4 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
Add 15-20 drops of food coloring. The green was a little too bluish for my taste, so I added a few drops of yellow.
IMG_4049
Stir in corn flakes until thoroughly coated.
This is the messy part: Spray your hands with PAM (highly recommended!) or give them generous coat of butter, and then plop handfuls of the corn flake mixture onto the cookie sheets. You’ll need balls that are larger than a golf ball, but smaller than a baseball. Poke a hole in the middle, and stretch to form a wreath. Decorate with candies right away, so they’ll stick. Reapply PAM or butter to your hands, as needed. If the corn flake mixture hardens to the point that you can’t mold it anymore, pop it back in the microwave for 20 seconds or so and it will soften up again.
IMG_4051
Enjoy!


*********
Come back every day through December for a new holiday goody recipe! 
Don't forget to grab my button and link back to us...

Recipe Shoebox


6 comments:

teresa December 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

they're so dang cute, i love all of your treats!

Jen December 16, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

I made these for Thomas' kindergarten holiday party today, except that I did use Rice Krispies. The kids loved them.

Holly December 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

These look super easy not to mention super kid friendly!:)

Kim December 17, 2010 at 1:37 AM  

I've forgotten all about these tasty and cute little treats. Thanks for the reminder. With all of my son's allergies, this will be a great one for him (and he'll love decorating them too).

Lila December 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

That's so dang cute. Creative too!
xoxo
Lila Ferraro

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP